Tethering/Hotspot. Verizon(prepaid/postpaid) Vs Total Wireless

entrep1776

Guru
100+ Post Club
Tmobile current carrier. Has bad reception outside my city. I need tp switch to carrier on Verizon (VZ) towers.

Do you use your cell phone as Hotspot/tether for your laptop? Mostly using eapps /quoting?

Total wireless is $35 for unlimited with 5gb data.

Verizon prepaid is $50 for unlimited with 10 gb data thru Walmart. Not sure about VZ prepaid vs. postpaid.

How much data do you typically use for insurance?

Thanks

5gb is a lot of data. I have my kid on the Total Wireless 5gb plan and she watches a TON of youtube on it before the 5gb limit hits. Plus, you can add an extra 5gb of rollover data for just $10. Very happy with that plan so far. Her coverage is just as good as my direct verizon plan. If I wasnt grandfathered into my unlimited plan with verizon, Id probably switch to them.

So 5gb should be plenty each month if all your doing is quotes and apps. If you need more, then $10 is a small price to pay.

We have 3 gig of shared data (wife and I). Rarely use more than 1 gig BUT most of our data is via wifi. Your situation may be different if you are visiting people in their home.

Also beware (if you are not already) that tethering puts a serious strain on your battery and also runs up data usage. A year ago I was in a hotel with "free" wifi. Slow and lost connection way too often. Decided to create a hotspot to get my work done. Chugged about 1.5 gig in data over 3 days. Might have tethered a total of 5 hours. No movies. Work related stuff (email, running proposals and sending out, banking, etc).

If you are considering Wally World, make sure they are using the same 4G (or 3G) network as VZ. I seem to recall reading somewhere the WW network has a smaller footprint than regular VZ and you get slower speeds.

thanks for link. 100 gigs a month watching medicare101.com videos jk. Most I've used is little over 4 gigs.

----------

5gb is a lot of data. I have my kid on the Total Wireless 5gb plan and she watches a TON of youtube on it before the 5gb limit hits. Plus, you can add an extra 5gb of rollover data for just $10. Very happy with that plan so far. Her coverage is just as good as my direct verizon plan. If I wasnt grandfathered into my unlimited plan with verizon, Id probably switch to them.

So 5gb should be plenty each month if all your doing is quotes and apps. If you need more, then $10 is a small price to pay.

thanks. $10 rollover is good deal. at Walmart have $35 for 5 gig + 1 gig bonus free.

Do you have dead spots with Total Wireless? was reading Verizon postpaid goes into roaming. but prepaid & TW will not.

----------

We have 3 gig of shared data (wife and I). Rarely use more than 1 gig BUT most of our data is via wifi. Your situation may be different if you are visiting people in their home.

Also beware (if you are not already) that tethering puts a serious strain on your battery and also runs up data usage. A year ago I was in a hotel with "free" wifi. Slow and lost connection way too often. Decided to create a hotspot to get my work done. Chugged about 1.5 gig in data over 3 days. Might have tethered a total of 5 hours. No movies. Work related stuff (email, running proposals and sending out, banking, etc).

If you are considering Wally World, make sure they are using the same 4G (or 3G) network as VZ. I seem to recall reading somewhere the WW network has a smaller footprint than regular VZ and you get slower speeds.

I think 3 g/4g used to be how WM did it. thinking it's lte these days.

Thanks for heads up on it sucking the data using hotspot.

Do eapps or quoting SW at clients eat up data? hoping to get applications dun at client's house via phone or internet. So I don't have homework.

realistic to get all the application done at clients?

thanks. $10 rollover is good deal. at Walmart have $35 for 5 gig + 1 gig bonus free.

Do you have dead spots with Total Wireless? was reading Verizon postpaid goes into roaming. but prepaid & TW will not.

Its not my line, but she doesnt seem to have any issues in town or out of town. Its been used in multiple states in both city and rural areas. No complaints so far... and I would definitely hear complaints if there were issues... lol.

Her service/network seems to be identical to my mine that is direct with Verizon.

----------

This is why I will never give up my old Unlimited contract with Verizon.

Tyler, my son was using 40 gb a month. He is a data whor*!

Tyler, my son was using 40 gb a month. He is a data whor*!

Time to put that kid to work and deduct the phone bill! lol

My daughter often uses way more than the 5gigs, but when at a house or school she usually switches to wifi. I still often end up buying her an extra 5gb each month. Crazy how fast kids use up phone data

Kids think nothing of streaming hours of movies etc on their phones. I can't stand to watch video's on a 3 inch screen. Don't even watch them on my convertible laptop.

Back