Two more CRM systems

G

Here are two more CRM systems that I came across.

Both are web-based... which IMO is the way to go these days.

Welcome to Etelos

Customer Relationship Management, On-Demand CRM - Zoho CRM

I have not spent much time with either of these but they look good for someone with somewhat limited needs.

I like and use SugarCRM but I also recommend the well-known FreeCRM for those without tech skills.... mainly because I've used both for a considerable amount of time and they work well.

It seems that every day another web-based CRM comes out of the woodwork. I'm sure Google will have one very soon.

For those who want a desktop-based solution for running their biz, many folks endorse YIO . I didn't like it, but you might. Worth a look if you like an desktop platform and don't need the ability to hit your data from anywhere in the world you can get a web connect. That is my hot-button since I travel a fair amount from CA to my elderly mother's home in Palm Beach, Fl.

Al
InsuranceSolutions123 Agency

Al:

Is it possible for you to mention other programs without telling everyone you don't like YIO? Just once, mention it without your opinion.

I can talk about other people without mentioning that I don't like you.

Rick

Al:

Is it possible for you to mention other programs without telling everyone you don't like YIO?
Do you get some kind of a stipend from Frank for being the Lord and Protector of YIO?

Just once, mention it without your opinion.
Why? Because you say so? Sorry, Rick. You may bully everyone else, but I don't lay down that easily. I'll post what I want, when I want, and how I want... about CRM, YIO, or anything else... as often as I want... and if you don't like it... well you are simply going to have to learn to live with that.

I can talk about other people without mentioning that I don't like you.
Who DO you like Rick? You don't like ANYBODY. All you want to do is fight with people, insult people, and generally make them feel lousy about themselves. Along with anger management issues, you've got the worlds biggest chip on your shoulder.

You're one guy in a fairly large community. Why not just try to get along with people here... instead of always being a PITA.

Al

Al:

I get along with everyone except for the pompus jerk that you are.

Do you think anyone respects your opinion about insurance? You have proven over and over again that you base your statements on a total lack of knowledge. You are harmful to the industry because you are one of the hacks, not a professional.

You know computers but you haven't the slightest idea of how to explain yourself in plain English. Your posts are simply to show how smart you are. (Sorry, but you have failed).

My guess is that you grew up as the town nerd, being beaten up by all the big kids and girls. So to protect yourself, you decided to try to prove how smart you are. (Again, you're not folling anyone).

This has become tiresome. I have a wager for you if you have the guts.

Please set up a poll of who should remain on this site, you or me. I will agree right now that if I lose, I go. Will you do the same or are you a pu$$y?

Rick

P.S. A note to Sam. Sorry, but this A-hole has really become a pain in my ass. Ban me if you want but at least I add some useful information to an INSURANCE site.

Al

I'm curious, what do you look for in a CRM system? I've evaluated many of them, most are significantly lacking for this industry, though they can be tailored if you have the patience.

I have a great in house system for policy holders, tied to the policy system, but it doesn't do so well with prospecting / networking. Some of my ideal features in CRM are:

- Householding: Simple concept of knowing about a household. Most require this setup to be a company, with the kids called employees. Some systems get around this.
- Document scanning / storage: I spend a significant amount of time scanning and storing documents. Most web based systems are far to slow for this, some are moderately okay. Ironically, few PC based systems deal with this much better, though I have finally come up with a system for ACT that works well. By the way, this is mostly a P&C requirement, I can't imagine it being the same issue in health.
- Telephony control: I don't need no stinkin high cost phone system, but it is really nice when the system does a screen pop when someone calls in, or it dials the number for me when I call out.
- Status: It amazes me how many CRM systems have a problem providing status reports. I just want to know who to call today, or who to send birthday cards to, or ???? Most systems are based on management reports, but I want a list of people that are overdue for phone calls.
- Speed: Don't grind to a halt when I ask for a list of something or change screens. Most webbased apps don't keep up with me, I've had to learn patience as the world goes more web based.
- Email: Let me tie emails to clients and send email templates to clients.
- Mail Merge: Make it simple to send a form letter to one client. I do this a lot, such as thanks for your payment, thanks for your business, etc.
- Automatic lead import: Simplify my life, when I get an internet lead, have the system read the email and import it for me.

and lastly

- Sales Automation: Give the system some smarts, let it actually run campaigns for me, and have it tell me what to do.

That said, I love Salesforce.com. It's free, it does some of the above. To get a really working version costs a bit, but it's amazingly fast and clean. Unfortunately, their model is around bigger business, and it doesn't work as well for the single guy, and it doesn't do much automation.

YIO doesn't deal with documents, but gets a lot of other user bits correct. I had this thread with Frank a while back, I respect his opinion on making it work for the masses, rather than work for individuals.

Sugar has a lot of good things, but doesn't come close to working for me. I think version 5 addresses a lot of my issues, so I might look at it again.

Because it's the only thing that tends to allow me to glue enough parts together and have work, I use ACT! with some automation tools, for my prospects, and then switch them to the inhouse CRM system when they become a client (yeah, I wish I could do it differently, but it's fairly automatic anyway).

To me, price is not an issue. I consider it an investment. If I spend $300 a month, but make an additional $3000, I'll take 2. Unfortunately, price is not an indication of capability.

Dan

Al:

I get along with everyone except for the pompus jerk that you are.
Sigh. Asked and answered.

Do you think anyone respects your opinion about insurance?
No. I don't express opinions. I ask questions. I'm learning. I don't ask anyone to 'respect' my opinions... I don't even think I have any.

You have proven over and over again that you base your statements on a total lack of knowledge.
Statements? What statements? I can't remember the last time I made a pronouncement on anything insurance related. I'm just a newbie... whom you like to beat up on (with the other newbies.)

You are harmful to the industry because you are one of the hacks, not a professional.
How can I be a 'hack' if I have a 'total lack of knowledge.' A 'hack' would have fairly complete set of knowledge... which might be out of date... but it would be there.

As for 'professional' I'm not sure of your standards here. I know I would have done a better job for the client I sent you who was looking for FE. Do you think you did a professional job for her? She does not think so.

You know computers but you haven't the slightest idea of how to explain yourself in plain English.
What kind of English am I using? I have not seen anyone ask about anything I've posted... except the usual internet accronims like YMMV, IMO, TTBOMK... all of which can be quickly Googled. (When did "google" become a verb?)

I'm a fairly accomplished writer, have one a few minor awards, have been published in Inc. Magazine and other places (I will post the links if anyone wants.) OK, I'm not John Steinbeck or Ernest Hemingway, but I do OK with the English language.

You can go HERE and see a number of the essays I've written over the years. One of them won me a prize. Another raised over $200,000 on the internet.

Your posts are simply to show how smart you are. (Sorry, but you have failed).
Is it possible that compared to the vituperative simplistic ramblings that you post (like the post I'm responding to here) I just come out LOOKING smart?

My guess is that you grew up as the town nerd, being beaten up by all the big kids and girls. So to protect yourself, you decided to try to prove how smart you are. (Again, you're not folling anyone).
I was never beaten up by a girl. Well wait. There was that incident with Ruth Golddapper at the movie. I must have been a senior in high school. I did "the move"... you know sliding my hand over her shoulder down toward her breast. She grabbed my hand, twisted it, yanked me out of my seat and almost broke my arm. How the hell could I know that she was a martial arts student! What Jewish girl in 1965 studies karate or judo?

Other than that, I had a pretty benign childhood and young-adult hood. Pretty boring actually... I was a B student, went to the U. of Virginia ('69) and later did grad work at William and Mary ('74). I did a lot of drugs (and women) but I never saw myself as some kind of deprived nerd. I've been married for 26 years... so that might make we weird compared to others (what is the average marriage last now? About 5 years?)

Please set up a poll of who should remain on this site, you or me. I will agree right now that if I lose, I go. Will you do the same or are you a pu$?
That's kind of sophomoric, don't you think? Anyway, I don't want to win as I don't want you to leave this list. I think you are a valuable contributor. I learn a lot from you. I just want you to chill out a bit and not be so paranoid. Just because someone disagrees with you does not make them evil. Besides... this is a web board... it's not real life or anything!

P.S. A note to Sam. Sorry, but this A-hole has really become a pain in my ass. Ban me if you want but at least I add some useful information to an INSURANCE site
I think your postings (about me anyway) are personal attacks based on your lack of ability to control your anger. I don't want Sam to ban you. If you MUST find some way to channel this anger, I suppose this board is a better outlet than some others I can think of. I'm hoping that Sam (and others) will write you and tell you "Dude... just chill out... he's not worth it... ignore him... live and let live... etc."

Of the almost 39,000 posts to this board, has anyone posted anything nearly as "attacking" as you (repeatedly) have? You're showing us something here, Rick... and it's not healthy.

Why don't you simply decide to NOT read whatever I post. Maybe that will help? I hope so.

Al

Al

I'm curious, what do you look for in a CRM system? I've evaluated many of them, most are significantly lacking for this industry, though they can be tailored if you have the patience.
You are SO right. Absolutely.

I get a fair amount of private mail asking me what is "the best" CRM.

I'll be the first to say that SugarCRM is not perfect. But before I tell people that... I tell them that the only 'perfect' system is the one that 'works' for THEM. This stuff is just so personal.

Big Issues: I'm a nut for four things.... simplicity, flexibility, security, and scalability.

I keep my business simple. I don't have the need to automate EVERYTHING. I try to use the computer for the things I can't do (easily) by hand. I like a CRM system that is intuitive to use and which is simple to learn and understand. Fortunately most of the CRMs are built around the same parent-child relationships of accounts having many contacts and contacts have activiites (calls, emails) and documents, etc. I've found all the popular CRM systems fill my 'simplicity' requirement quite well.

I like a fair about of flexibility. For example on some systems you have have a contact before you can have an account. That makes sense if you write a lot of group. But for me most of my accounts ARE the contact... so why do I need two records (a parent 'account' and child 'contact' records)? I don't like being forced to work a certain way. Sugar does not require that an account have any contacts.

As for security, since I run my business on my own web server (which cost me about $2,000 a year) I like to know (and be able to tinker with) the security. This is why I happen to like the open-source model. Zillions of people have 'played' with Sugar and a whole bunch of them have tried to hack it. Over time any application that has been 'beaten on' gets hardened if the developers care enough to 'fix' it. Sugar, Salesforce, FreeCRM and others have a large and vocal user-base... and that helps a lot to let me sleep at night.

I like a system that will scale. By this I mean that it has a lot of whistles and bells so that my business can 'grow into it' if I wish. For example, Sugar has "campaigns." Well I don't DO campaigns... but one day I might. Sugar has a pretty good calendar. But I like to keep my appointments on my Mac iCal application... but I keep my call list on Sugar. Why? I don't know. I just do... and it works for me. (See what I mean by how all this stuff is personal?)

There are a lot of small issues I look for. One is speed. My server is not a speed demon, but Sugar runs fine on it. It takes about a second to run a query and put up a page... maybe two at most.

Another is the ability to use different databases. I use MySQL, but one day I might want to use Oracle or Postgre or something else.

Another thing is the ability to see and change the code if I want.

Another thing is the ability to change 'skins' because I get tired of the same colors all the time!

Another thing is that it has to be easy to install, update, and backup.

Finally, it has to be cheap. Why? Because I might only use it for a couple of years until I find something better. I don't want to invest a lot of money and be 'married' to one system feeling I have to get my money out of it before I change. SugarCRM is free!

Here is the REALLY BIG THING... and it is personal. I know that there is no such thing as the perfect system. There are lots and lots of almost perfect systems. I take the attitude that sometimes "good enough" is good enough. When I find something that works and has most of what I want and need, I go with it... knowing that it is not forever and that next week, month or year... something else will come along and I'll probably move to that.

Al

It's all Frank's fault. If he would only make YIO free, and web based........

Only the "community edition" of Sugar is free. They have another version that you pay for but you get professional support. From what I understand, the company that does Sugar makes a good income even though so many people use it for free. Not sure how that works. I suppose the large corporations that want something like Sugar are happy to pay for it and get the support they want.

I'm sure Frank will make YIO web-based if he wants to survive in the market place. There is already a kick-ass insurance-specific web based application called AgencyPro by Word & Brown. (We've had a thread on it here.) I'm sure that if/when Frank brings out a web based version that he will do quite well with it.

If I were Frank, I'd hire some programmers and have them get the free code from Sugar (yes, they are happy to let you have it) and develop an insurance-specific set of modules for it. He could maybe make some serious money as there are a lot of Sugar users (like me) who would buy it.

Al

Al says-"I'm a fairly accomplished writer, have one a few minor awards, have been published in Inc. Magazine and other places (I will post the links if anyone wants.) OK, I'm not John Steinbeck or Ernest Hemingway, but I do OK with the English language."

I'm not picking sides here, but does anyone else find it funny that in Al's post about being a fairly accomplished writer he misused "one" when he meant "won?"

Gave me a chuckle!

Back