Why Should You Use A Predictive Dialer or a Power Dialer?

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
I frequently get asked what a predictive dialer is and why folks should use it. First, let's take a look at some definitions. A predictive dialer is typically for 5+ telemarketers and the system is actually "predicting" when the next free agent will happen. To oversimplify it, if the average call time is 60 seconds and it takes an average of 20 seconds to connect to a call, it will start dialing numbers at around the 40 second mark. Again, that's an oversimplification, but that's roughly how it works.

On the other hand, a power dialer simply dials out multiple lines at a time. When a friend of mine got started he had a guy in his office that would grab the phone book (no DNC list then) and pick two numbers, then put a phone in each ear and talk to the first person that answered the phone. A power dialer is like doing that on steroids because it allows you to dial up to 3, 4, or more lines at a time without having to even input the number. By doing this you can literally make 3-4 times as many calls and talk to more prospects. With all numbers being equal, you're able to generate 3-4 times as many leads in the same amount of time. This is what most companies promoting themselves as a predictive dialer are actually offering, but mostly because that's what most people think a predictive dialer is.

There are a lot of reasons to use a predictive/power dialer. Most folks will point to the increased productivity in terms of being able to dial multiple lines at a time, but it also lets you stay focused. If you're dialing numbers manually (or even copying and pasting them electronically), it takes time and mental energy that you could be using to prospect. Another benefit of working with a dialer is that it will allow you to easily log all of the results from your calls and see what your numbers are. You may get discouraged one day because you only generated half the leads you did the day before, but if you review your productivity logs and see that you only made half the calls, it makes it easier to see what you may want to change to get the results you want.

One last point that's definitely worth mentioning is that dialers will typically allow you to record the calls which can be a powerful tool for self-evaluation. If you go back and listen to your calls you'll be able to hear things that you're saying and doing that you may want to change. Football players do this in watching their games and divers do it when they're working on improving their form; using the same technique you can improve your cold calling skills without having to muddle around with complicated recording software or a traditional tape recorder.

There are three services most folks use. NOLHA.org members can get $49 off the first month of the MojoSells.com service, $149/month after that. Anyone can use promo code AML to get SalesDialers.com for $99/month and $99/month each month after that. CallFire offers a pay-as-you go service where instead of paying a flat monthly rate, you just pay for the time you use. If you're dialing less than five hours a week or are looking to get started without much of a commitment, it's a great way to see if a dialer is the right fit for you.

So Josh,
For just one person would you suggest a "power dialer" instead?
of a predictive dialer?
Paige

I frequently get asked what a predictive dialer is and why folks should use it. First, let's take a look at some definitions. A predictive dialer is typically for 5+ telemarketers and the system is actually "predicting" when the next free agent will happen. To oversimplify it, if the average call time is 60 seconds and it takes an average of 20 seconds to connect to a call, it will start dialing numbers at around the 40 second mark. Again, that's an oversimplification, but that's roughly how it works.

On the other hand, a power dialer simply dials out multiple lines at a time. When a friend of mine got started he had a guy in his office that would grab the phone book (no DNC list then) and pick two numbers, then put a phone in each ear and talk to the first person that answered the phone. A power dialer is like doing that on steroids because it allows you to dial up to 3, 4, or more lines at a time without having to even input the number. By doing this you can literally make 3-4 times as many calls and talk to more prospects. With all numbers being equal, you're able to generate 3-4 times as many leads in the same amount of time. This is what most companies promoting themselves as a predictive dialer are actually offering, but mostly because that's what most people think a predictive dialer is.

There are a lot of reasons to use a predictive/power dialer. Most folks will point to the increased productivity in terms of being able to dial multiple lines at a time, but it also lets you stay focused. If you're dialing numbers manually (or even copying and pasting them electronically), it takes time and mental energy that you could be using to prospect. Another benefit of working with a dialer is that it will allow you to easily log all of the results from your calls and see what your numbers are. You may get discouraged one day because you only generated half the leads you did the day before, but if you review your productivity logs and see that you only made half the calls, it makes it easier to see what you may want to change to get the results you want.

One last point that's definitely worth mentioning is that dialers will typically allow you to record the calls which can be a powerful tool for self-evaluation. If you go back and listen to your calls you'll be able to hear things that you're saying and doing that you may want to change. Football players do this in watching their games and divers do it when they're working on improving their form; using the same technique you can improve your cold calling skills without having to muddle around with complicated recording software or a traditional tape recorder.

There are three services most folks use. NOLHA.org members can get $49 off the first month of the MojoSells.com service, $149/month after that. Anyone can use promo code AML to get SalesDialers.com for $99/month and $99/month each month after that. CallFire offers a pay-as-you go service where instead of paying a flat monthly rate, you just pay for the time you use. If you're dialing less than five hours a week or are looking to get started without much of a commitment, it's a great way to see if a dialer is the right fit for you.

So Josh,
For just one person would you suggest a "power dialer" instead?
of a predictive dialer?
Paige

Power is pretty much the only way to do it with one person. Predictive only works with a group of telemarketers, ideally more than ten.

Josh is right... predictive dialers tend to have lag time unless optimized not do to so with the coding. Any dialer will give you the numbers you need and sales is about numbers... the more contacts... the more leads... the more sales. Just make sure you have more than one lead ten method in the works and best of luck to you!

Update: Since I wrote this first post the FTC has put a ban on using dialers to call cell phones. Since nearly every list is going to have some cell phones in it, I recommend using dynamicic.com because they will carve out the cell phones and keep you compliant.

How would anyone know that the call they received on a cellphone is from someone using a dialer? I don't know if that's something anyone should really worry about.

I used dynamicic in the past but their dialer turned to dodo when they changed their platform.

Rick

How would anyone know that the call they received on a cellphone is from someone using a dialer? I don't know if that's something anyone should really worry about.

I know three call centers and one individual that did get pinched on it. Of course agents are always free to take the risks they'd like, but I always recommend folks use some solution that removes the cell phones if they're going to be using a power dialer.

I used dynamicic in the past but their dialer turned to dodo when they changed their platform.

Rick

Hi Rick, can you be specific about Dynamic? In one sense you are but what was the major diff once they changed their platform? How did it impact your bottom line?

Back