Your Insurance Office

Healthagent is right. This is NOT a YIO issue.

YIO is based on Microsoft Access and uses a stand-alone, self-contained database engine called Jet which is bundled with the MBE file that YIO uses to keep all its data.

The Access database is NOT a server. It is a file... probably called yio.MDE or something like that.

You're IT guy put the file on a shared disk... either on your PC, the other agent's PC or (if he knows what he is doing) on a third PC that functions as a FILE server.

Tell the IT guy that somewhere he has enabled FILE LOCKING such that when one guy is using the database file, the other guy can't. It may be at the system level or at the file level.

I don't know the Windows operating system well enough to know where the attributes for shared files (or hard disks) is, but somewhere there is a screen for that .mde file or the hard disk volume where he can un-check a box that says "Use File Locking" or something like that.

Try right-clicking on the .mde file and see if there is an "attributes" choice. It might be in there. Otherwise it is buried in the Windows "settings" or "config" system.... whatever they call it these days (and I should know because I run Windows on my Mac via Parallels virtualization but I'm not at that machine now... typing this on my iPad.)

Or go and Google something like "Can's share Access database" and see what comes up.

If your IT person can't fix this... get a new one. This is basic "101" stuff for anyone who is claiming that title. Better yet, learn how to do the basic network stuff yourself. It's a hell of a lot easier than trying to figure out how a fixed index annuity with a GWB and an 8% LIBR works!!

Don't bash Frank. You can't do that until you have 1000 posts here. It's a rule. Ask anyone. (You only need 15 posts to bash me!!) :yes: :laugh:

Al

There are things that cannot be solved on "my" end. For example, I'll have agents join my association and say "the videos don't play."

Yes...they play. You need the Flash player. Then they email me back - I have flash but the videos don't work.

Yes...the videos work. After a while there's nothing that can be done. It's on their end, not mine.

I think Frank is saying it's on your end. If it's on your end then it's on your end.

Don't bash Frank. You can't do that until you have 1000 posts here. It's a rule. Ask anyone. (You only need 15 posts to bash me!!) :yes: :laugh:

Al

When did they raise the bar to 15?!? ;)

But seriously, spot on advice Al. If your IT guy can't fix this, its time to find a new one. That, or he better be paying you.

I think what you have to remember is people have different levels of expertise and many hold themselves to be experts who are not.

Just because you have an "IT guy" doesn't mean he's an expert. I hired an "expert" to set up my shopping cart and wanted certain functionality.

Not only couldn't get get it to work after a week, but told me certain functions could not be implemented. To his credit he didn't charge me.

I went into Elancer and hired a guy who did it within 2 hours.

Frank, I don't want to get into an argument with you over the internet about your system. So far, it's worked great for me. And it works on the other computer too. I just can't get them to work at the same time, and I'm just trying to figure out how to fix it.

If you (or anyone else) have any suggestions about where to go from here, I'm all ears.

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as a "dick". In the sixteen plus years of YIO no one, not even once, has ever had a problem setting up the network. I'm at a total loss as to what may be causing the problem. The guys who program for me, I checked with them last night, don't have a clue. The one thing I do know for sure is that what ever is going on has nothing to do with YIO.

Your IT guy said he made some changes or added something to the computer when attempting to set up the network. I told him that I'm not an IT guy, just an agent and didn't have a clue what he was talking about when he told me the changes he made.

I don't provide support to fix computers or correct mistakes made by others to a computer. Believe me, if there was something I could do I would have done it by now.

The crux of the problem has to be either what he did or with something weird going on with that computer. If it was a YIO problem it would have surfaced long before now.

Thanks to all who are trying to help.

I also am still trying to help him. I called and left a message for him telling him I will give him another key code to try it on a different computer in case it is that computer that is causing the problem.

When did they raise the bar to 15?!? ;)

But seriously, spot on advice Al. If your IT guy can't fix this, its time to find a new one. That, or he better be paying you.

Vol, Al said 15 more. So I think it means that 65 are needed to bash Al. I agree that Al gave excellent advice to the O/P. He knows his IT stuff.

Back