Add Alternative Text to Pictures

Mark

Guru
5000 Post Club
Georgia
Add Alternative text to Pictures on your website. I just learned this and it helps.

I was using a program that rated my website and it said that I didnt add Alternative Text to most of my pictures.

This is what it told me "
Alternative text (the alt attribute) is missing for several images. Add alternative text so that search engines can better understand the content of your images.
Remember that search engine crawlers cannot actually "see" images. The alternative text attribute allows you to assign a specific description to each image.

I went back and add ALT Text to More picture and it improved my website ranking. I guess it helps google to know what the picture is and helps with SEO.

Today I think that it is more of a factor that allows the sight impaired know what a graphic is than a factor that impacts SEO. Also some people with dial up or old phones turn off graphics because it impacts download time. The alt text tells them what they are missing.

By the way, I block the engines from indexing my pictures using my robots.txt files. There is no point in my graphics showing up in a SERP out of context.

Back