Is Blog Commenting Dead?

I saw this and thought it was interesting. A lot of good articles on inc.com. Makes you wonder, are we getting dumber? How will things change? Will everything in the future be a +1 or a thumbs up or a wink, maybe a nod, cough...

Business Blogs Face Big Changes | Inc.com

Many of my clients ask me: Should my company start a blog? Once I would have given them an unqualified yes. But today I would add a few caveats.
There are many great reasons to maintain a company blog. A blog allows you to:
  • share knowledge and demonstrate your company's subject matter expertise
  • give your company a voice
  • help generate the new content valued by both users and search engines
  • encourage valuable "link love" from customers, colleagues, and industry peers
  • provide a living and easily accessible archive of company content for future reference
A company blog used to also be a way to gather feedback and welcome consenting and dissenting opinions, particularly through its comments section.
But I'm not so sure that last rationale applies anymore. The reason stems from what I consider a dismaying trend, and one that I don't see reversing any time soon: the decline of commenting on blogs and articles.
More at Business Blogs Face Big Changes | Inc.com

For the sole proprietor, especially an insurance agent, I wonder if the time spent in keeping a blog up to date would not be better spent doing other things But then, I am techno leery..

Chumps, is the only site I can remember where people actually leave non-spam comments. I don't know how many spam comments of mine he has deleted in the past,but it must be in the hundreds.

Chumps, is the only site I can remember where people actually leave non-spam comments. I don't know how many spam comments of mine he has deleted in the past,but it must be in the hundreds.

You need to get on his paid commenter list.

He started me out at a nickle a comment, but over time he has bumped me up to $0.35 each.

"I don't know how many spam comments of mine he has deleted in the past,but it must be in the hundreds."

Those were yours? Gee, if I had known, I would have let a few through!

Yes, Somarco does get .35 for each comment. It goes to .40 in July.

I have a blog, but I disallow comments due to the deluge of spam comments I would receive. I direct people seriously interested in commenting to my Facebook page.

Back