Building Medicare Website

Members of medicareagenttraining.com get a free Medicare website.

I just signed up with them to look into selling on the phone. I couldn't find anything about the free website, so I asked Chris about it. Here's his response:

"Re: Free website

Hi Tom,

No longer offering hosting on my server.
Had hundreds of sites for the members, none of which were updated by the agents so the plug-ins and old versions of Wordpress, never updated, allowed hackers to install Malware all over my server, causing my sites to crash and get blacklisted by the indexes.

For hosting a site, starting off, I recommend wix.com or blogger.com with your own domain. Both have ready-to-go templates and get good SEO recognition.

-cw:

----------

Thanks. Can you post the other 3?

WP sites that are privately hosted can run into problems, primarily because they are among the most popular platforms to use. Through WP.org you have access to templates, plugins, etc.

WP.com is a free site hosted through WP in the same manner as Blogger (via Google). These free sites rarely get much traffic because they are "me too" sites. The exception is when you have solid content that is regularly updated. An example is InsureBlog

My WP sites have been hacked before even though I updated the template and plugins.

Your hosting service has a lot to do with the vulnerability of your site, especially with shared hosting. I haven't had any problems since changing my hosting over a year ago.

WP sites that are privately hosted can run into problems, primarily because they are among the most popular platforms to use. Through WP.org you have access to templates, plugins, etc.

WP.com is a free site hosted through WP in the same manner as Blogger (via Google). These free sites rarely get much traffic because they are "me too" sites. The exception is when you have solid content that is regularly updated. An example is InsureBlog

My WP sites have been hacked before even though I updated the template and plugins.

Your hosting service has a lot to do with the vulnerability of your site, especially with shared hosting. I haven't had any problems since changing my hosting over a year ago.

Thanks Bob, good info.

I just signed up with them to look into selling on the phone. I couldn't find anything about the free website, so I asked Chris about it. Here's his response:

Yep, had another agent's site get the Malware going because he had version 2.9 of Wordpress still installed and did not follow what I put out regarding security. This was just today. His site was now using 80GB of storage and causing a problem. So, unless an agent takes ownership of his/her site to maintain it, add content and change the templates that are out there, it is of NO use to simply have a business card/page set up, and I have no use for it on my server, for sure.

So many folks think they can just throw up a website and forget about it.
That serves virtually no purpose at all unless you sit there and spell out your domain name for the client to look you up.

Here's a video I put out in November to my agents as a caution and several steps to take to maintain your Wordpress site, use free security tools readily available, and prevent hacks and Malware infestations. Only a fraction of the agents actually implemented the security.

There is some good stuff in the video for anyone using Wordpress.
Here's the link.

So, no, I cannot host sites for agents who have no interest in their site's health and usefulness, especially when that lack of interest degrades my other sites and the server as a whole, which is has done.

This is why I only do html sites now or landing pages using other platforms like leadpages, instapage, unbounce

Back