Don't Get Fooled By High Ranking

@Val

I never got a chance to acknowledge that you were right and I was wrong about the 301 redirects. I didn't realize it until after the other thread died.

SEMRush is flawed in that it is inherently days or weeks behind what is actually happening.

It is somewhat useful for certain things, but if you want to see what terms are being clicked, the awstats tool in most people's cpanel is the best place to see exactly what people are clicking on for your site.

Compare it to semrush if you want, and see how close they match, which will allow you to see the header referrer string from google/bing/yahoo, which tells the ACTUAL search terms being clicked, vs semrush, then see how accurate you think it is.

You'll be shocked to see the differences, I have keywords that semrush says I dont rank for clicked almost every single day, that google says aren't searched.

Insurance violates the standard rules of determining traffic also, in that if you aren't focused on selling ppc or leads, you can target terms with MUCH lower search volume than an "expert" would suggest to you, and have much greater results.

Just think, logically. Are metrics based around clicks being worth 10 dollars relevant when a visit on a particular keyword could be worth 1000 dollars or more?

SEMRush and most services like it cater to affiliate marketers doing adwords ppc to make income, because affiliate marketers don't typically build sites for individual businesses.

Some of the concepts are the same but the keyword targeting is completely different.

K is right, I like Semrush to check out competitiors kw's and for keyword research, it def is not 100% but I like using it.

Google Dance Tool and Google Ad Preview Tool are the best ways to check your actual rankings in Google. You can also filter the results coming from different countries and data centers. I hope this will help.

This benefit turns into an annoyance for Internet Marketers. It makes it harder to know where you really rank.

There are a couple of ways to get around this. Logging out of your Google account isn't one of them. Personalization of search is cookie based and therefore does not require your even having a Google account.

Here is what I do: I do most of my Internet activities while using Firefox as my browser. I do searches and click on the results like normal while I'm using Firefox.

I use Safari to check ranking. I never click on a link in a SERP while using Safari.

If you already use Safari, you can use Opera or one of the other browsers. Since cookies are stored in your browser, you are a "different person" if you use a different browser.

Google provides some straightforward data in Webmaster Tools. Go to "Your Site on the Web", then "Search Queries". You will see the number of monthly impressions, click through, and average rank for hundreds of search terms unique to your site. You can also see similar data by page.

The Beta version of Analytics allows you to integrate the same data for further analysis, without the need to log into two places.

Back