Google Local Business Listing-Getting to # 1

I have been doing SEO for Google Local listing for the last two months and I am still not number one. I have gone to getlisted.org and claimed all my listings on Yelp, Yahoo, Best of the Web, Bing, and Hotfrog. I have 8 reviews on Google Local and a few on the others. I even payed Progressive $50 to do the local list promotion through Localeze and Universal Business listing for one year. I was wondering what else I could do??? I read somewhere where there is a list of sites that you can post a free business listing that gives you a citation per site on your google local listing. Are citations that important? If so what are some good sites to do this? Also, what else can I do besides, adding picures, reviews, keywords (I have done all that)? Here is the link to my place page: Landers Insurance on Google Local

I have been doing SEO for Google Local listing for the last two months and I am still not number one. I have gone to getlisted.org and claimed all my listings on Yelp, Yahoo, Best of the Web, Bing, and Hotfrog. I have 8 reviews on Google Local and a few on the others. I even payed Progressive $50 to do the local list promotion through Localeze and Universal Business listing for one year. I was wondering what else I could do??? I read somewhere where there is a list of sites that you can post a free business listing that gives you a citation per site on your google local listing. Are citations that important? If so what are some good sites to do this? Also, what else can I do besides, adding picures, reviews, keywords (I have done all that)? Here is the link to my place page: Landers Insurance on Google Local

Yes they are important. I've been doing free submissions for two years now. The key is to submit at least once a month...I usually do them bi weekly and I am always ranked 1,2 or 3 ...usually one or two.

What you are doing is right just add the free subs to sites like google, yahoo, bing, dmoz, etc...you can find most of the sites just doing a search for free website submissions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

By the way, you may have to be more patient...it takes time.

Last edited:
citations are pretty important from what I've read... the program i use says you have 74, but only 33 unique domains.... which from the sites i've looked at, is a pretty good number of citations, but you definitely want them coming from more unique domains....

give it some time, and its bound to come up...

in regards to state farm, etc.... from the citations that i've seen from those guys, they have less than both me and you, but they seem to pretty consistently outrank me, especially for auto on google places

Try link building, many companies can do it for you for a price. Also possibly try a Google AdWords campaign. You can learn how to do it yourself, or again, hire a marketing company.

Wow. Answers all over the place. Here are the steps to getting higher google local rank:

1. Make sure your google places page is complete. To be complete, it needs a video, pictures, and EVERY SINGLE field has to contain data. Use a local phone, not an 800. If you are far outside the most central point in town, get a PO box at the post office closest to the most central point in the town and list that as your mailing address, then put the physical location address in notes or another section. Don't have any videos? Go buy one for 5 dollars off fiverr.com or make one yourself by doing a screen recording.

2. On your website itself, on the footer, put the EXACT same address you listed in google places, and the EXACT same phone number. Put the meta geotag of the address into the <head> of your website. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up.

3. submit listings to any local listing site you can find. backlink them to your site, and to your google/yahoo places pages in either notes or another section if you can. Submit reviews on these sites or ask your people to preferably.

4. go to local newspaper websites, and if they have comments pages, backlink the google places and yahoo places pages ONE time on their site, preferably on a page about insurance.

5. build backlinks to your google places/yahoo places/other local listings and newspaper or other backlinks from web 2.0, social media, and social bookmark sites. Preferably do this in a low footprint way and web the links to each other.

If this method sounds complex, yeah it really is, but it is the correct way to do it. If you want to pay me to do it for you, I'd be happy to do that.

get an all stale or state bum citation, Google loves those people.
How would I do that?... a link exchange
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Yes they are important. I've been doing free submissions for two years now. The key is to submit at least once a month...I usually do them bi weekly and I am always ranked 1,2 or 3 ...usually one or two
quote]

Do you mean doing a website submit that sends your info to search engines. If so what do you think is the best website for this free website submit....

Last edited:
Back