Google Search & Keyword Research: Do Capitals & Punctual Marks Matter?

when you're targeting to rank for a keyword phrase, does google consider capitalization and punctuality in their algorithm?

for examples:
-CAPS vs non caps
-dont vs. don't
-end of question vs. end of question?

just wondered if google sees "exact match phrase" & "Exact Match Phrase!" in the same way or differently?

when you're targeting to rank for a keyword phrase, does google consider capitalization and punctuality in their algorithm?

for examples:
-CAPS vs non caps
-dont vs. don't

just wondered if google sees "exact match phrase" & "Exact Match Phrase!" in the same way or differently?

I'm not sure most of that matters, but I'm nearly 100% that the punctuality doesn't matter. ;)

for examples:
-CAPS vs non caps
-dont vs. don't

Today, search engines are very sophisticated. So, you'll want to take caution when capitalizing the first letter in each word and using all caps. Punctuation is ok, when necessary, but overuse (e.g. !!!!!!!!!!!!!) can have a negative effect on your rankings.

I'm guessing, but I imagine improper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation would be signals to search engines of lower quality content. Regardless, they're certainly signals to your human visitors!

One thing you do have to keep the same is your NAP. Name Address Phone Number. In which punctuation does matter.

When you create profiles on citation sides or link building make sure your listing is the same way every time.

for examples:
-CAPS vs non caps
-dont vs. don't

My assumption is that none of the above have an impact on organic search.

However, it is possible that dont vs. don't will impact a PPC keyword that uses exact match.

For the most part punctuation is ignored by Google. There are some exceptions however, some examples are:

Not Ignored

-Meaningful Punctuation - C++ and C# (names of programming languages)
-Dollar signs - $
-Underscore symbol (treated as a letter)
-Advanced operators - colon between 2 words (no spaces ex. site:google.com)
-Boolean operators - ex1. "seo services" (exact match search) ex2. dvd -player (Exclude the term) ex3. advanced+search (add the term)
-shortcuts - synonym search ex. ~google

Partially Ignored

-Hyphen (car-insurance vs. car insurance)
-Apostrophe (dont vs. don't)

Back