Google Site Killer

I know this is my first post here, but this is really awful advice for this particular situation.

As it stands after the latest round of updates (last 2 years) SEO is about as dead as it will ever be in the traditional sense. Once the link pyramids fell in the last update, that was the final straw for "investing money in SEO". Content farms, web 2.0 links, all have disappeared for the most part.

This essentially means the act of buying, or building an artificial link profile has all but been abolished.

If you're not willing to go blackhat (which I would never suggest) the upside to investing in SEO is very, very small. While many will point to great content, even that is going by the wayside as Google looks to improve quality based on other outside factors.

The future is in authorship & social signals, more specifically G+.

I could go on and on, but that would just be a lot of info.

Bottom line. Save your money. Write 1 article a week and focus on things you can easily control, like your conversion rate to lead and quality of content.

It has nothing to do with social signals.....

----------

WebEm, started a decline under Panda then dropped off the earth last spring. Thinking of starting fresh with a pure lead gen site. Fewer pages, less content, just "You wanna quote? Click here"

I had a few sites go down at that same time, i can tell you I had done tons of article marketing. One site received an unnatural links penalty in webmaster tools, after 1 year of link deleting and various reconsideration requests, the penalty is still there on 1 site, they went so far as to give me an example of the bad links and one of them was an ezine article link, after that I said forget it as I had 1000's of those and then those 1000's were scraped by spammers and placed on other sites. Article marketing, blog comments, public blog networks, site wide footer links, link blasting programs or any type of automated link building is all dead. I have set up many new sites that are doing well. Bottom line, seo is very much alive, just weeded out the kids in there parents basements doing stuff for little to no money. Quality links on quality sites rule, problem is they are hard to come by and are expensive, seo has become a big boys game that requires big boy money and takes much patients which most people do not have..

I have set up many new sites that are doing well.

How long did it take you to get traffic with these new sites? Did you roll any content over, or start fresh?

I read something by an SEO on Google+ that said he was able to get a new site to rank in a few weeks. I don't have time to find it now, but it was authored by +Randy Wilson.

As I recall, he put up something like 20 pages of 1200 words and pushed them out.

I had a few sites go down at that same time, i can tell you I had done tons of article marketing. One site received an unnatural links penalty in webmaster tools, after 1 year of link deleting and various reconsideration requests, the penalty is still there on 1 site,

@SecureHealth

How many article links did you build to this site over what time frame. I wouldn't be surprised if article links were not counted at all but I'm a little surprised you were penalized for them. So I'm curious about the quantity and time frame.

@SecureHealth

How many article links did you build to this site over what time frame. I wouldn't be surprised if article links were not counted at all but I'm a little surprised you were penalized for them. So I'm curious about the quantity and time frame.

100's over many months. Yes, article marketing wiped many sites off the map. If you are familiar with the large life insurance agency out there, wholesaleinsurance . net, equote . com, accuquote .com , quickquote. com , compassquote. com they all vanished and if you look at their link profile, they had done hundreds of thousands of those types
of links. If you go back now and look at these sames, they are shredding thousands of those links in hopes that their sites will bounce back. The fact that google told me in webmaster tools in a response to a reconsideration request that my ezine articles needed to removed before they would lift my penalty is proof enough for me..

----------

How long did it take you to get traffic with these new sites? Did you roll any content over, or start fresh?

I read something by an SEO on Google+ that said he was able to get a new site to rank in a few weeks. I don't have time to find it now, but it was authored by +Randy Wilson.

As I recall, he put up something like 20 pages of 1200 words and pushed them out.

All new content, its hard to say on time, all keywords are different, but I can say it takes longer these days then a few years ago..

Quick plug, you guys should be posting on InsuranceLibrary.com that will help with the backlink profile and can also get you that Google Authorship you are looking for.

100's over many months. Yes, article marketing wiped many sites off the map. If you are familiar with the large life insurance agency out there, wholesaleinsurance . net, equote . com, accuquote .com , quickquote. com , compassquote. com they all vanished and if you look at their link profile, they had done hundreds of thousands of those types
of links. If you go back now and look at these sames, they are shredding thousands of those links in hopes that their sites will bounce back. The fact that google told me in webmaster tools in a response to a reconsideration request that my ezine articles needed to removed before they would lift my penalty is proof enough for me..

----------

Agreed. A webmaster tools message is pretty convincing. I just wonder if a new site that gets 30 links from articles would get penalized or if it's the large quantity of links that gets noticed. I'm guessing it's the massive quantities but tough to be sure. I think the major problem comes when the article content from article directories is scraped and then placed all over the web on crappy sites.

Matt Cutts posted a video on article directories just last week: youtu.be/Bo75Og4M34Q

Agreed. A webmaster tools message is pretty convincing. I just wonder if a new site that gets 30 links from articles would get penalized or if it's the large quantity of links that gets noticed. I'm guessing it's the massive quantities but tough to be sure. I think the major problem comes when the article content from article directories is scraped and then placed all over the web on crappy sites.

Matt Cutts posted a video on article directories just last week: youtu.be/Bo75Og4M34Q

I have other sites that had the same problem without a penalty notice in webmaster tools. I think most ranking drops from heavy article marketing is now caught by the algorithm, so your site drops and you have no idea why because you wont get a message in webmaster tools..

I wouldn't be surprised if article links were not counted at all but I'm a little surprised you were penalized for them.

SEOs largely abandoned article directories many years ago, but there are still new webmasters who see the opportunity, think it's a great idea, but don't realize the implications of it. The reality is that article directories have become overwritten with low-quality, stolen or spammy content but many just don't realize it.

Cutts also hinted that their search algorithm is filtering, or perhaps even penalizing, mass article directory spam.

Matt Cutts: Using Article Directories for Links? Just No - Search Engine Watch (#SEW)

it takes longer these days then a few years ago..

Yes it does, but Randy claimed to do this just a few months ago.

Long tail keywords with low competition don't take as long. Depending on the keywords, it can only take a few weeks, but medium to high competition keywords take much longer these days..

My understanding of the latest updates by Google, is that it is this (long tail keywords -i.e using lots of sets of 3, 4 or 5 words to desribe what you do rarther then trying to compete for the top level stuff) along with using natural language in your website (e.g. in things like headers rather than trying to have a couple of key words writing much longer headers, sometimes in the forms of questions) that are key. If you work out the words you want to rank for and include things like region and other differentiating factors Google is now much better at matching what people are looking for to these 'long tails' in your site.

Back