Google To Stop Showing Ads On Right Side Of Desktop Search Results

Aaron_4SIGHT

Guru
100+ Post Club
It's just been confirmed that Google is removing ads from the right side of their search results page (with a few exceptions). Additionally, they are going to bump the number of ads shown at the top of the page from three to four for "highly commercial queries".

This will likely have some fairly significant impacts on those focusing on PPC advertising and SEO.

1. Cost-per-click bids are going to get driven up because there is less "inventory" available.
2. Click-through rates should go up because there is less competition and ads will almost always appear above organic results.
3. With four ads showing, organic results will get pushed down even further "below the fold", reducing the benefit of a #6-10 ranking and increasing the importance of that elusive #1 ranking.

Confirmed: Google To Stop Showing Ads On Right Side Of Desktop Search Results Worldwide

What about search engine optimization (SEO) will it be also affected by the same? Kindly give some details regarding the same.

Bottom line is rather then spending tons of money on SEO, you might as well pay it straight to google. I'm sure that is googles thinking on this anyway.

I just ran a search for 'auto insurance quote' on google. Not a single 'agent' was visible on my large monitor. I would have had to scroll. Ads, yes. Geico, yes. Progressive, yes, Liberty Mutual, yep.

No agent. Hard to compete against that type of money.

Changed the search to "auto insurance", then I did get the 'local' agent map thingy they do now. Outside of the google locals (which doesn't really require SEO), there were no agents on the first page. I didn't check the second page.

The only difference with a search for Home Insurance (rather then auto) is a couple of lead aggregators made it into the ad space. They didn't even make the ads on the auto space.

Outside of the google locals (which doesn't really require SEO)

Actually that is a specialty in itself. There are people who focus exclusively on local SEO, including at least one forum devoted to understanding the way Google prioritizes local listings.

Actually that is a specialty in itself. There are people who focus exclusively on local SEO, including at least one forum devoted to understanding the way Google prioritizes local listings.

It is absolutely a specialty and I think a very important specialty. Its (at least in my mind) different from traditional 'SEO'. I guess technically, it is a subset.

Dan

I see you redid your website!

Just curious did you have a lot of troubles doing your redirects?

I'm just now recovering from my upgrade... It's been a long 4 months :/

I have always wondered when they talk of local SEO, are they talking within a certain mileage radius, or bigger. To me, Utah is local, that's why I ask.

John, no redirects. Just changed the template, not the domain, etc.

Jimmy, Google considers local to be within a fairly tight geographic area. Can't say exactly what, but it isn't the entire state.

I spoke with one of the local SEO guru's a year or so ago and told them I market to small burgs around the state. Was told at that time Google will allow the map, etc to show up within a radius of my office. Since my office is in Atlanta, if I wanted to market locally in Savannah Google would not allow me.

Maybe that has changed.

Here is a link that is less than a year old and may do a better job of explaining Google local.

Everything You Need To Know About Google's Local Algorithm, Pigeon

Back