Hostgator Has Gone to Crap

Not trying to just bash on Hostgator any more than I have already said but my site was down for a good 15 minutes just now. Estimated wait time on live chat support is 30 MINUTES!! On a Saturday morning?!? Ridiculous...

Again, shared hosting is always going to have issues because you have no control over what's going on in the rest of the box. If someone else is hitting peak times, it will hurt your site performance.

Why is a 30 minute hold time that big of a deal? I'm sure you can find ways on the internet to kill time while you're waiting.

I've been with hostgator for years and have had issues with then a few times, but never anything super serious.

Have you looked at using any vps products that give you dedicated resources? That's a much more reliable solution, but it is more money and more work.

I had looked at VPS packages with them and I cannot afford that at the moment. I have had sites hosted with hostgator for about a decade and only recently have I seen any issues with the service. Both the hosting itself and the customer support have gone downhill IMHO. I moved one site off of it already today and I will be moving another shortly. Just sorry to see it get bad like this. Shared or not, they can balance loads better if they want to. I have never experienced these types of frequent outages before with them.

I know I might just be stuck on the same server as few bandwidth-intense sites and it could just be temporary. Who knows. Like you said, when you use a shared hosting plan, there isn't much you can do.

Cheap shared hosting is a recipe for disaster. When an ISP tries to gain new customers with cheap rates their bandwidth is taxed. You get what you pay for.

Cheap shared hosting is a recipe for disaster. When an ISP tries to gain new customers with cheap rates their bandwidth is taxed. You get what you pay for.

I don't disagree with that. But for what I use my site for, I don't need all the benefits that paying 5x the cheap shared hosting costs me.

My issue is THE CHANGE in HG service from the time I bought it to now. Same cost... less value. But it is what it is.

Chris Westfall (Daytona Guy) has an ISP he recommends. Can't recall which one it is right now.

WiredTree is super, super fast. The VPS where they have the option of the SSD/Hybrid drive means that it loads much of your site for the user using a solid state (flash) drive. This makes a big difference in serving up your site quickly to folks.

Their support is nearly instantaneous when you send in a support ticket with questions, etc.

Back