Is HostGator Still Tops?

The only issue I've had with Hostgator was their recent purchase and transfer to new servers. My site was down for a few hours. Beyond that I've been issue free.

... To rant some more about this, for less than the $99/month (2-10 sites) you could get dedicated hosting (VPS) from hostgator for $80/month. That'd give you dedicated system resources and absurdly fast load times. Not that hostgator is the only game in town for VPS, but it's easy to get that setup with them.

Once you get into the VPS world, there are many more viable options than what the popular budget hosts (HG, et al.) offer. To take things a step further, true dedicated hosting is priced right along side VPS hosting.

ohhh, i should mention. if you are doing one single site, HG is fine. If you are looking into playing around a little with multiple sites or landing pages, go with seohosting.com .. it is a host gator company, so you get the top notch support, but much more flexibility with IPs and such. (parking on different servers)

Hostgator is nowhere near tops, unless by tops you mean cheap. The dirty little secret with shared hosting companies like this is that you can be sharing IP's with absolutely any website, and if that person is doing bad things on that IP...well, not much you can do about it.

If you're serious about your business, at least host it on a VPS ($29/mo +) with a unique IP. Make sure to get cPanel (fantastic interface) and setting things up is a breeze after you've done it once.

Back