How to Increase Organic Traffic on an Insurance Site?

Any new feedback on this?

I'm not an insurance sales person, but actually the web manager and seo optimizer for Complete Solutions Inc.

Here's my take on organic seo:

Here's the order of importance of seo tasks:

1. Figure out and research the keywords that you want to rank for. It's often good to keep it narrow to a niche like final expense or medicare supplement.

2. Build an seo silo or funnel system.
Example pages could be:
medicare plans
- medicare part a
- medicare part b
- medicare part c
- medicare supplement
- medicare advantage
- medicare supplement plans by state
- medicare supplement plans ohio
- medicare supplement plans michigan
- etc...

I highly recommend using wordpress and "seo ultimate" + "seopressor" (tells you exactly what your keyword density is for each page so you can modify it and make it more optimized for google).

Seopressor isn't free but you can get an unlimited version to use on unlimited domains. SEO ultimate is a free plugin. I highly recommend learning all you can about it and setting up autolink keywords for each post. Everytime you write a new blog post and use one of the keywords it will autolink to a page that matches that keyword - this will increase your internal linking structure.

3. Social Media - be sure to share all your pages and content on social media sites, try and get friends to share it as well, or retweet it. All the social buzz you give it will help it rank higher in search engines.

4. Link wheels.
This is best described using a tire and spoke analogy.

At the center of the tire is the hub. This is one keyword page on your site NOT the main domain. your goal should be to build backlinks to all your pages on your site not just the main domain.

The way to build a linkwheel is to create accounts at social media sites like blogger, wordpress, squidoo, and any other free blog sites you can find. Then you want to create content that is similar but different from the page that you're linking to.

This content MUST be 100% unique, so you will need to do a lot of writing. Each page should be somewhat similar and optimized for the same keyword. Then you will link eblog1 to eblog2 to eblog3 to eblog4 to eblog5 to eblog6 and all eblogs link to mainblog. You will also randomly link some of the other eblogs to each other like eblog 4 to eblog6, eblog 6 to eblog 1 and so on.. you want it to appear random and mismatched and the more sites in the web the better.

There are also services out there that will do this for you, but I prefer to be in control of it myself to ensure I don't get google slapped.

5. Backlinks
There are many tools to find out who links to your competitors websites. For each keyword figure out who the top 3 sites are, then find out who links to them. Then organize that by pagerank and go after the ones with the highest pagerank. Sometimes it will be a blog and you can just comment, or a forum post. It's also a good idea to find other related blogs, especially ones that have nofollow turned off and comment on them.

6. Keep adding new and fresh content to stay relevant.

Word of advice for PPC as well - your keyword density and optimization is also important to what sites you get shown on for adsense so its important not to half-ass it.

Any new feedback on this?

Some of it is good stuff. Much better than a lot of the SEO peddlers that come on here and blast away.

In response to his numbers:

1. Yes, great advice.

2. He was a but unclear what he was talking about there.

3. Some merit to that. Definitely good to have a facebook page.

4. Easier to pay folks to do it, but it's definitely a sound model.

5. Backlinks are an art in and of themselves. Not bad advice, but definitely the kids version.

6. Great advice! Blogging once or twice a week is how a lot of folks (including ones on here) have created great sites that generate a lot of revenue.

That help?

Yes, it did help. Thanks. A friend of mine is writing blog articles, adding links to them on fb and tweeting the the blog link. A few questions before I hire her (she's a writer not an seo person).

Is it better to tweet the link or the fb fan page?

Link wheels... Have one blog integrated into the website. If we create two indy blogs, I take it we want them making posts that link to posts on the main blog.

What is the best way to maximize the juice from original content on the indy blogs? Sure, the main blog can link post and tweet the repost. What else can we do with this to improve site ranking? Thanks!

Yes, it did help. Thanks. A friend of mine is writing blog articles, adding links to them on fb and tweeting the the blog link. A few questions before I hire her (she's a writer not an seo person).

If she's a writer, not an SEO person, she probably needs to get pointed in the right direction about how to write for SEO. It's a little easier than what she's probably used to.

Is it better to tweet the link or the fb fan page?

Link from the facebook page to your site isn't going to help as much as the tweets. Having the facebook page itself is going to help. The tweets aren't going to take you very far, but for the minute or two it takes it can be worth it, especially if you have her do it as part of the service.

Link wheels... Have one blog integrated into the website. If we create two indy blogs, I take it we want them making posts that link to posts on the main blog.

Yes, but also be sure to link to some other sites too. If a site is built and only links to a single site, that can be an indication that it might only exist for the purposes of SEO which is exactly what google is on the watch for. I don't think I'd ever consider doing a link wheel manually. Time and money would probably be better spent adding links quality link networks.

What is the best way to maximize the juice from original content on the indy blogs? Sure, the main blog can link post and tweet the repost. What else can we do with this to improve site ranking? Thanks!

Link back to it from other blogs and link networks.

Another big thing is to layout your content on your site correctly and just keep adding to it. I'm working on one major project for an agent and then starting on another massive one for myself. In both cases I'm going after terms that are aggressively sought after, but a number of the results on the top 10 are content lean. One of the things that has remained steady despite all of googles changes is that sites with quality content tend to rank better. That along with some quality backlinks and you're going to be more likely to do better than just about anything else including the above. That could all change tomorrow, but it's unlikely.

If you want to shoot me an email with what the keywords you're looking to rank for are I can give you some more specific advice.

My blog got hit hard by google for a link wheel an seo company created for me. Be careful there. Link wheels are clearly against google's linking guidelines. My advice is don't create backlinks to your main site if you want to be safe.

Back