How Long Should It Take To Make Changes On Your Website ?

CALTCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
If you have a "templated website" but the person that you bought it from has the control to make changes, how long should it take them to make text changes ?

For a landing page, after initial creation, if you suggest changes to the text, quote form and button colors, how long should that take ?

I think the total cost for this is about $350 bucks plus logo costs.

I want to make sure I am being patient and reasonable but not being taken advantage of.

It seems it is taking 1 to 2 weeks so far.

My thoughts are there must be a better way.

Thanks!

Delay is the deadliest form of denial.

One to two weeks is too long.

If you can't get the guy to work on it when you tell him to, then fire him and get somebody else or do it yourself.

Delay is the deadliest form of denial.

One to two weeks is too long.

If you can't get the guy to work on it when you tell him to, then fire him and get somebody else or do it yourself.

Thanks for the response! I was thinking the same thing.

I can make a change to my homepage or any text on my website in about 5 minutes max.

The speed of a 3rd party doing it should depend on how much they are getting paid. But I'd say anything over 1 week is too long no matter what your paying them.

If you have a "templated website" but the person that you bought it from has the control to make changes, how long should it take them to make text changes ?

For a landing page, after initial creation, if you suggest changes to the text, quote form and button colors, how long should that take ?

I want to make sure I am being patient and reasonable but not being taken advantage of.

Thanks!

Please don't fire them.

Thanks!

Changes to text should only take the web designer a few minutes longer than it takes to type the words in to an email unless the changes throws off the aesthetic balance of the page. This could force the designer to make other changes.

Changes to the button colors can be done in seconds if the buttons don't have to be recreated. If the button is isn't a graphic you can go into the CSS and change the hexadecimal number for the background color of an element. eg. "000000" is black. "FFFFFF" is white.

However, sometimes a button is a gif or other graphic file. In that case it will take longer. Your designer will have to recreate or modify the button in a program like Photoshop.

I don't know what specific changes you need to make, but it doesn't sound like more than an hour's work. It could take as little as 15 minutes.

Thanks!

At that price point you're dealing with a super low budget service (which isn't a bad thing). What might seem like a simple change can also end up being very involved, especially if you're using a template and want to change it from the mold.

If nothing else you should be able to be given a clear timeline. Something as simple as a few lines of text shouldn't be much, but if you're wanting significant changes to a landing page, quote form, etc, usually budget developers don't factor in for that and get killed with unhappy customers because they were selling a low end service and not properly setting expectations.

Is it possible for you to be given control over editing your web site?

I was told that was coming but it has never come. I would prefer the ability to do this myself.

I also believe I was told I could do this myself when I bought the site. I could be wrong though.

I would recommend anyone getting a template type site have this ability otherwise its a huge pain and you have no ability to change as your marketing may change.

I think the changes have to be done by a third party. So if I e-mail the change I want, then it must go to some other department/oustside contractor who makes the change. Lots of room for mis-communication.

I paid a developer $1,000 to build my web site at www.InsuranceCommentary.com, including lots of backroom bells and whistles. I do 99% of the updating myself. When I need her help, she usually takes care of it that day. She has built other web sites, one of my favorites being www.steveanderson.com who recommended her.

That sounds like a good value. Those sites look pretty good to me.

I have spent close to that so far with no ability to change anything without an act of congress. If I want to put an image in like a booklet or something, I can't even do that.

This has been one heck of an ordeal for a non tech savvy agent.

Last edited:
Another thing you might check on is who owns your domain name. Sometimes these vendors register the domain in their name and you pay for it, but they own it and might use it for leverage if you wanted to leave. That should be spelled out in your contract.

Back