Keywords On Website Pages

Mark

Guru
5000 Post Club
Georgia
I'm trying to update my keywords on my webpages.

Does the keyword have to be somewhere on the page, or can it just be the words I want someone to search to see the page?

I'm not sure what you mean, but your content should be full of keywords. The only place that they would be "listed" would be in your meta keywords, which are basically useless.

You want to make sure that you have your keywords in your H1, H2, etc. tags, and repeated in your content.

You also want to make sure that they are in your page description and page title.

You keywords should flow naturally in your content and not just be placed on the page for the sake of having them on there.

If I misunderstood your question, I apologize for wasting your time.

While you don't necessarily have to have your keywords on the website page to rank for a keyword (case in point the keyword "miserable failure" which was posted all over the internet was pointed to George Bush's bio on white house website and this page at the time was ranked #1 for for the search term "miserable failure" and the keyword "miserable failure" did not appear anywhere on the white house website).

Plus there are websites where you can run a querry as to how many keywords a website's home page has in the top 20 Google positions (page 1 & 2 of Google) and you will see site homepages that have several hundred different
keywords that rank on the first 2 pages of Google and there are not several hundred keywords on the home page but they have a lot of links with those keywords in the anchor text on other websites pointing to their website, so the site ranks high for the keyword.

With that being said, even though it is not absolutely necessary to put your keywords on page (if you are building tons of backlinks), it is best to include the keywords on the page, in the title, in the H1 tags, etc because this is another plus for you. Having those keywords on the page will help with that page's rankings in the search engines, so include the keywords on the page if you can because you will get benefit from it.

I'm trying to update my keywords on my webpages.

Does the keyword have to be somewhere on the page, or can it just be the words I want someone to search to see the page?

If you want google to think your page is about what you want it to show up for when someone searches, the keyword needs to be in a few specific places on the page itself, and in external links.

You basically want the most important keyword you're targeting to show up in the url itself, in the title tag, and in the h1 header tag.

It is also helpful to put it in the body text with some frequency, but there is no magic formula for it.

Having said all that, you can rank for a term without ever having the keyword on the page at all, by having the keyword be the words you are linked as on external pages.

Join.me is a great example. They show up on google for screenshare terms, but if you look at their page it basically has no text on it, but external pages that link to them link using the keywords they show up for.

If you have enough links in enough places, the higher pr the better, saying your site is about a keyword, in the format of

<a href="your site name here">keywords here</a>

You will rank for that term even if you never say it on your page. The less competition your page has for that term, the higher you'll rank. The more links you have, the higher you'll rank.

You can read a bunch of cute **** about random things like quality of the content around the keyphrase and what not, but that aint what the google spider sees. Its better, of course, to have better content, because other people linking to your content is easier, cheaper, and better than linking to it yourself.

Google sees volume of links, words being used, rank of the pages the links come from, age, volume of visitors, and how often someone clicks that page and immediately hits back on the browser.

I listened to a podcast literally 2 days ago where the guy who does seo for amazon was talking about how he had to link things himself because people just inherently arent interested in certain subjects and it was the only option to get the content indexed so it would be seen.

I think that ksigmtsu gave some good advice.

Another important place to put your keyword is in the anchor text of an outbound link on the page. Ideally you will want to link to another page on your site.

Competition is going to make a big difference in anything you do in SEO. If nobody is competing for the phrase, you might hit number one with no real effort (just on page SEO). If it is a highly competitive phrase, you may need hundreds or thousands of inbound links to get on the first page.

First you will need to do a keyword research. Here are some tools: Google keyword tool, Google Insights for search, Google trends, Market Samurai(paid), SEOBook Keyword tool(paid), etc. After doing keyword research(finding less-competitive keywords with high search volume), you will now need to do on-page optimization. You'll need to place your keywords on header tags, title tags, meta tags, permalink(URL), etc. Then you'll need to have 3-7% keyword density. If you have some questions, you can ping me here.

If you want keyword research done cheap, go to fiverr.com and look around. There is a guy that runs market samurai, sorts it, highlights the correct terms to target the low hanging fruit for 5 bucks.

Somarco I would recommend getting a program called Scrapebox. It has a keyword scraper that generates large keyword lists from your "root" keyword list. With 100 root keywords I am able to generate lists of 20-30k keywords if I leave it on for a few hours. From there you can choose which keywords to create content for and rank. Also if you want you can break the list up into 1,000 word lists and throw them into Market Samurai to see what kind of competition and search volume you should expect.

Your Keyword needs to be in your title.
You need to place it also in your h1 and h2 tags
Keep keyword density to around 1% to 2%
Try to link to another internal page with your keyword
bold or underline one of the instances of the keyword
Link out also to an authority site using your keyword

Back