National Site Vs State Specific Sites

socal401

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
For generating Medicare supplements leads with SEO would it be more effective to;

#1 - SEO a site nationwide using broader content targeting Medicare supplements across the country and then only contacting the leads in the states I'm licensed. Also getting licensed nationwide and being able to work with all the leads generated could be a possibility.

Or

#2 - Setup state specific sites like "Arizonamedicare.com" and SEO for people looking for Medicare supplements in that state. Then setup other state specific sites for the states I'm licensed.

Appreciate the input.

Generally speaking, if you are going after Organic Traffic, which is Search Engine Traffic, you are going to have either an extremely difficult or expensive (or both) task of trying to rank your website for Broad National Keywords. You may consider going after more localized Long Tail Keywords than State, such as "Medicare Supplement Quotes Rockford IL", for example. Look within the States you are targeting and do a little keyword research to find those Cities that would generate enough traffic to make them worth optimizing for.

If you are driving traffic to your site via other means, then of course you need to weigh the cost of the leads compared to average profit. Adwords will no doubt be much cheaper for local keywords than general or broad national keywords.

You really just can't compete nationally anymore, he has it right. You'd go broke trying to get there and the amount of time it would take would be overwhelming. For organic, localized is the way to go and even that will be a tough task even if you get close to the top, if for no other reason than the limited volume of searches.

Thanks for the replies. Would it be better to have a site like "medicaresupplements.com" and have pages that target different areas or would it be better to have state specific sites like "floridamedicaresupplement.com" and have a different site and domain for each state.

In the grand scheme of things I dont think it would make too much of a difference really. Each have their pluses and minuses that probably even out. Your main issue will probably be finding good domains, period.

Stick to PPC on g/b/y and brokersweb/surehits health traffic, work on scaling that out, you will see a return sooner than seo.

I agree you will see results with PPC much much quicker. Seo anything outside a local area is not guaranteed and takes forever if at all...

Yes, PPC is much faster if you have the budget. It also has the added benefit of allowing you to test your long tail keywords to see if they draw traffic before you optimize your site for them.

Do both. State wide SEO is manageable and should be invested into for long term growth. PPC is quick gains but high cost.

I have a perspective that's a little different than most of the opinions expressed above. I build national websites and do quite well with purely organic traffic. The challenge is designing and building a site that strikes at the heart of long-tail search. So, you can't get there by putting up a blog and blogging away at every health insurance topic under the sun.

I've been at it for a little more than two years in both the individual/family and Medicare space. I walked away from individual/family health insurance because it simply does not pay enough (compared to Medicare). After two years and a couple of false starts, I'm getting a steady 2,000+ visitors a day with a bounce rate around 37%.

To make this a reality, you either need to be a programmer, hire a programmer or find an application that's already built to do it for you. There are a handful of websites out there getting tons of traffic (tens of thousands of visitors), and my goal is to take it from them by beating them at their own game.

It can be done. It is being done.

What is a URL of a site you have built?

Back