Need Educated on the Process of Changing Web Hosts

If someone were to switch from one web host to another, what happens to all the content left behind from the old site? Does it simply transfer or does it need to be re-written all over again?

My site has about 200 pages of content (since a blog entry is counted as a page). My site has about 100 blog entries, 10 pages of web forms and about 90 pages of other content.

I'm not sure how the process works. But if I were to switch web hosts, would all of those pages automatically transfer to the new web host? or would I have to start from scratch?

I started and have been with the same web host since I started my insurance website several years ago. They are a template site host, which I wouldn't have originally signed up for had I known any better. But what's done is done.

Looking forward, this site has been very profitable for me, and I am reluctant to changing it. I pay less than $100 per year for both the web host and domain registration, and generate between 10-20 leads a week from this site.

Last edited:
It appears you are renting not only the hosting arrangement, but the template as well. If you don't have an export function in the admin section, you might be screwed.

Do you have FTP access and/or shell access to the files?

If so you should be able to move your content. Bigger challenge might be your SEO (titles, meta, etc).

I'm curious, what's the purpose of switching?

What type of site is it? It will not automatically switch, but if the new host allows the same platform, you should be able to make it work pretty painlessly.

Back