Reasonable Amount for Website

HuntAssuranceGroup

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
So I have started inquiring and searching for someone to redesign my WordPress site and train me in how to work it. With that, I've gotten quotes from 1,850 to 2,230. How do I know what to pay someone a fair price when the pricing is all over the map.

Sent from my iPad using InsForums

That's a lot. I have used the same person for many years and would assume he charges much less. I have 12 websites and he had a hand in all of them.

Reggie Leach
Leach Insurance Services
Philadelphia , Pa.
Service since our first Stanley Cup

What is the main purpose of your site?

I have a good friend who owns a website design company. For a true custom built site he gets $4,000. He has told me that he thinks the way most agents use their sites that they should use a $500 site built from a template. However, it should be a responsive site so it displays properly on all devices.

A pretty good WordPress developer should be able to put something solid together for under $500. A guy that used to have an office next to me would start at $10,000 and go up from there.

If you want to get a good looking site affordably you can look through themeforest.net then pick out a few themes you like and just have the developer do that. If there is a theme/template out there that meets your needs you can get quite a bit of design work done for a very reasonable rate.

There is a really wide range without more info it'd be hard to say.
I just met with my Dev today for a new project. He'll be completely a new site for me for $600 which will include login for users, & drive integration on a Wordpress platform.

I would have to agree with Josh, that there are a lot of great themes available now that really don't require a lot of customization. It would be worth your time to look around for a good theme that has the features you want, perhaps specifically for insurance websites. You can go on Elance or any similar site and hire a freelancer to make the modifications that you want. There are also a lot of good WP online courses out there as well. I took one a few years ago and although I am no developer, I know my way around WP pretty well and have built quite a few sites for my own use. Plus you can make a lot of changes to your site without having to hire someone unless it gets a little above your pay grade.

If you have a template WP site such as Studiopress look for designers that specialize in WP and have experience with those themes.

Something you need to consider is how flexible the site (and the custom work) is when another WP update comes along. You don't want to lose functionality and have to pay your developer again just because another update rolls out.

----------

Studiopress developers

One thing you want to make sure you have is control of the site once the site has been completed. I've run into a few situations where the web dev has held hostage access to the site once it has been created. This is mainly done to force you to continue to pay them once the job has been completed.

You should be able to find something like this for around $500 bucks. The real cost is hiring someone to do your (continuous) SEO unless you want to do it yourself but that takes time and expertise.

Dane Iorg
Great Dane Insurance Services
Experienced in Life since 1950

Back