SEO for Insurance Websites

Follow up Question for a new website. I've been told that brand new websites are very hard to get on the first page, even with SEO. Would you agree? Would you start SEO right away, or wait it out several months? Thanks.

Why wait? As to getting on first page google, I'm sure you're referring to competitive terms that convert, right? I bring this up cause there will be SEO's that will get you onto first page google for terms that really don't convert, and they'll be like "well I got you onto 1st page G, pay me my $1500".

The best thing to do is research SEO, the different tactics, principles and best practices. Then you will be able to sift through the crap, and know what services you need from an SEO firm.

I think there are a few steps to take before hiring a SEO expert and spending a dime.

What is your goal...as in which keyword terms are you trying to rank for? Search those terms and see how much traffic they're generating. As you gonna kill yourself to end up finding out that your phrases are only getting 240 searches a month?

If you want to rank for larger searches - countless thousands per month that will actually generate revenue, look at your competition. Your competition will be the first five sites on Google.

Look into those sites - looks at their tags, keywords, domain's age, then determine if you have the realistic time frame and budget to compete.

Any SEO expert will get you on page one for "albino alpaca farming." Ranking for terms that will actually generate revenue? Much more difficult.

Any SEO expert will get you on page one for "albino alpaca farming." Ranking for terms that will actually generate revenue? Much more difficult.

I couldn't resist Googling the phrase and turned up this:

Alpaca%201.JPG

I think your goal should start with a financial goal - not a keyword ranking goal. It is important to know what you can afford per customer before you start marketing on the internet.

insuranceadman-
Hate to disagree, but that makes no sense. We are in the prospecting business. The internet is one of my prospecting tools. It's not a funtion of what I can afford per customer. It's a function of ROI. Am I making $ from a venture + opportunity cost (time and effort). Furthermore, the investment ($ & time) of the internet (website & SEO) is more upfront, with strong dividends being paid for years to come.

Aheff - I'm confused? A working ROI is a financial goal. Time is money. Website and SEO are ongoing.

By financial goal I meant establishing a workable return on investment. I was simply stating that trying to achieve a ranking for a keyword should not be the starting point. Without knowing an average customer value how can you establish an ROI? If I told you that it would cost $300/month to get you to number one for "auto insurance" in your town - based on search volume and past closing ratios + average lifetime customer value you can figure out if that $300 makes sense and or what closing ratio your landing page will require to make money. After a starting point is established then the testing begins. I always recommend performance based SEO - if the SEO company achieves a goal they get a pre-established bonus. Summary: Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Want the absolute best tip for showing up at the top of Google Places? It may sound obvious: Get citations from the carriers.

It is a little more complicated than that because you have to make sure Google sees them, but that really is the way to jump to the top.

Back