Starting Out: SEO VS PPC

Oh it works you just gotta have the pockets for it

Not necessarily. You need to know how it works and work it right. It does take some money to burn upfront to practice with, but it doesn't have to be too bad.

Not necessarily. You need to know how it works and work it right. It does take some money to burn upfront to practice with, but it doesn't have to be too bad.

yeah but the keywords i target using organic cost like $20-$25 / click to bid in the top 3 spots. I guess it could work for a lot of long tail keywords but we both know how easy it is to rank sub pages for those. I'm probably missing something but I cant justify $100 / conversion (about 25% of my visitors fill out a quote)

I do SEO exclusively...been going at it slowly with limited budget. This was the first year that I was able to close a significant amount of premium from our efforts. We are still working on it and refining our efforts. It seems to always be a "work in progress".

I tried PPC and it did not work for me.

yeah but the keywords i target using organic cost like $20-$25 / click to bid in the top 3 spots. I guess it could work for a lot of long tail keywords but we both know how easy it is to rank sub pages for those. I'm probably missing something but I cant justify $100 / conversion (about 25% of my visitors fill out a quote)

There are a few things wrong with your premise, but humility is a virtue.

There are a few things wrong with your premise, but humility is a virtue.

I was actually hoping you'd enlighten me. Cause I don't see how insurance ppc can be lucrative for the small time agent when you got the big national companies pricing up the paid search. And now Google is giving out the quote box in the serp snippet to companies who spend $500k+ on adwords. I mean the cost per click is so rediculous on some of these keywords you'd have to almost close every visitor and keep them for at least 2 renewal terms to break even

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually hoping you'd enlighten me. Cause I don't see how insurance ppc can be lucrative for the small time agent when you got the big national companies pricing up the paid search. I mean the cost per click is rediculous on some of these keywords you'd have to almost close every visitor and keep them for at least 1 renewal to break even

There's much too much to it to type it all out here. There are a number of moving parts, not the least of which is keeping your bids reasonable.

There's much too much to it to type iparts, not of which is keeping your bids reasonable.

If its worth it, I'll figure out the how to part ;). Im really asking for a numbers breakdown not your secret formula. I just can't make sense of the math let's say at $20 / click 25% conversion and 25% close (1 in 16 visitors buys which is reasonable) that's a cost of $320 / policy. I don't think its profitable for the small guys which is why I hardly see Anyone besides state farm, Allstate, progressive, eaurance, and GEICO on the top spots. Are my numbers way off or are you keeping your ppc clients for 3-5 years to cover cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back