Starting Out: SEO VS PPC

From my side.... SEO is a permanent way for getting constant traffic.. But PPC, whenever u r giving ad to advertiser that time only you will traffic from PPC.If u stop advertising means your traffic also will get down... But SEO will give constant traffic...

True, although SEO can be risky if that is your only strategy, google can make a change in their algorithm and you can lose rankings as well....i guess the key is to have a multi strategy - i think for insurance SEO and Social Media probably work best.

Its too basic IMO. They don't stand out. If I land on a WP site, I know its WordPress. My comparison is that of an email address. If you are an established business (any industry), would you email contacts or clients with a [email protected] email address? Hopefully not because this is a representation of your image to potential and existing clients.

To me, in online marketing, using a WordPress is nothing more than basic. This can be a valid choice for those with a low budget and want to start off in the game (highly encouraged). But trust me when if you want to get into the hundreds of leads a month area, wp won't get you there and won't cut it managing them when you do..... unless you are into turn and burn lead aggregation but that's a different case.

So its more of a content management issue for you?

When it comes to appearance, speaking as someone who is mainly a consumer when it comes to websites; people dont know the difference as long as it looks professional.

Im sure there are more professional platforms to create more complex pages. But I have seen some really slick looking WP sites imo.

When it comes to appearance, speaking as someoe who is mainly a consumer when it comes to websites; people dont know the difference as long as it looks professional.

Im sure there are more professional platforms to create more complex pages. But I have seen some really slick looking WP sites imo.

I never said wp sites are bad. I said paying $500+ for a wp set up is a waste of money IMO. wordpress is a valid option to get into internet marketing on a low budget. this discussion stems from me badgering a couple people on the forum that are trying to sell wp set ups for $500-$1800.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and different things work for different people. Im just trying to suggest that people consider a more beneficial way to spend their money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said wp sites are bad. I said paying $500+ for a wp set up is a waste of money IMO. wordpress is a valid option to get into internet marketing on a low budget. this discussion stems from me badgering a couple people on the forum that are trying to sell wp set ups for $500-$1800.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and different things work for different people. Im just trying to suggest that people consider a more beneficial way to spend their money.

I understand what your saying. I was more interested in the scalability aspect.

When it comes to appearance, speaking as someone who is mainly a consumer when it comes to websites; people dont know the difference as long as it looks professional.

I think content management is an important aspect to consider when looking for a website platform but its not the end all be all.

You are right people don't know the difference in platforms but compare these two sites

Vista Life Insurance of Arizona - Arizona Life Insurance
vs
Houston Home Insurance | Auto | Business | Life | Katy | TX - Suzanne Brown Agency LLC

If these 2 sites show up in the same serp results, which would you be more likely to get a quote from? Which would you be more inclined to trust?

WP is a good platform i just don't think its tailored with e-commerce or insurance in mind. Remember it's originally a blog platform. People just use plug ins to add a quote form and call it an insurance site.

I always say "Just because you put 24" rims on your 1987 Toyta Tercel, doesn't make it any less of a 1987 Toyota Tercel...."

I actually never say that but you get the point.

Raph just has a really combative writing style :)

He is right though to a point, Wordpress is not a good platform to use if your light on PHP and at this point css3 knowledge. It is just too difficult to really modify and customize content placement. In fact this is really a large reason why so many "wordpress sites" look the same.

They are almost all designed on a rather rigid 960 grid system (this design in generally a newspaper layout grid ((and sometimes you can buy pre-built responsive themes)

If you just want to change colors this is fine, but odds are your going to want to change more then that, you will try to change it, you wont understand how grids work and your whole page will look weird to the casual observer. (It wont look weird to the person who designed it as they designed it, so to them it will look awesome :)

In conclusion the way the wordpress CMS is set up is not conducive to good design by amateur designers, a system like weebly or wix would be appropriate if you are not looking for lead gen and need pre planned layouts.

As for actually sites with funtionality if you follow a proper design process then a CMS like concrete5 would fit the bill rather nicely. About 10 times as user friendly as wordpress with just as much if not more power.

I am actually designing a turn key site system right now using concrete5 as our core platform, so I could be partial :)

Back