Upgrade to WordPress 3.5.1 ?

Jib

Expert
AZ
how many of you automatically upgrade WordPress when they have a new release? Do you disable plugins before updating?

I assume everyone does some type of backup. I've heard BackupBuddy is a good tool, but so far I've just used the free backup form Hostgator

Always wait a week or two, check out the wordpress.org forums and look for issues. Also look for possible issues/upgrades from your plugin authors and theme authors.

3.5 caused a lot of havoc for people who clicked "upgrade" the day it came out. It's also good to have test environment - a site you "play with." Implement changes there first. And BackupBuddy is a great choice for a backup system.

Last edited:
Always wait a week or two, check out the wordpress.com forums and look for issues. Also look for possible issues/upgrades from your plugin authors and theme authors.

3.5 caused a lot of havoc for people who clicked "upgrade" the day it came out. It's also good to have test environment - a site you "play with." Implement changes there first. And BackupBuddy is a great choice for a backup system.

Good info John, thanks.
I have only had websites now for a few months and have never really thought about that. I think I did upgrade WP once and like you said I just mindlessly clicked upgrade because WP told me to. Fortunately I had no problems, but after thinking about it I could see how they could.

I've probably clicked the magic upgrade button several hundred times at this point (multiple times across multiple sites) without any problems. Now, that's not to say no one will ever have a problem, but overall it's very stable. Every time you update your site you should do an export of the database (tools, export, download) and that will give you a file you can always use to upload your content back in the event something does happen to your site.

Not so long ago there was a tim thumb update that actually made folks more vulnerable to viruses, so there is some merit in waiting, but it's very unlikely anything is going to happen when you click the "upgrade automatically" other than your site getting free functionality and security updates.

Thanks for the tips.

whether doing upgrade right away or waiting a week, seems a tool like BackupBuddy is just a good idea in general.

Best bet yet is to just have a simple test environment with your theme and plugins. Yes, obviously always back your site up but when applying any WP update to your test site you'll quickly discover if there's any issues. That last thing you want is an issue with your live site risking any possibly downtime.

Back