Website Phone Number Question

Hefe

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'm a P&C agent and I use a work cell phone number almost exclusively with my clients. I want to list that number on our website as a way to get a hold of me but my boss says that we can't list that number because it's my personal number and not associated with the company.

Does anyone know if there are any regulations restricting what numbers are listed on an agency's website?

Thanks.

He probably doesn't want you using that number because anything you do personally with that number and the device it is assigned to could have negative consequences with the company and not protected under the corporate vail. Then again I'm just thinking out loud here.

I'm a P&C agent and I use a work cell phone number almost exclusively with my clients. I want to list that number on our website as a way to get a hold of me but my boss says that we can't list that number because it's my personal number and not associated with the company.

Does anyone know if there are any regulations restricting what numbers are listed on an agency's website?

Thanks.

Are you serious? He's the boss! He makes the rules! He doesn't need laws to say which phone numbers he wants to list on his website.

Are you serious? He's the boss! He makes the rules! He doesn't need laws to say which phone numbers he wants to list on his website.

What Newby is saying, there is no law fromt he DOI side of things but it is the Agency owners website and business...The reason he doesn't want "HIS" clients contacting you on your personal cell phone is if/when you decide to leave he does not get to keep that phone number and doesn't want HIS clients contacting you through it.

What Newby is saying, there is no law fromt he DOI side of things but it is the Agency owners website and business...The reason he doesn't want "HIS" clients contacting you on your personal cell phone is if/when you decide to leave he does not get to keep that phone number and doesn't want HIS clients contacting you through it.

I'm just trying to add my number to the contact us page by my name. I'm not trying to change the main number that is all over the site.

Newby, I understand that he's the boss and what he says goes but he was the one that brought up the fact that the number is not registered with the DOI. I was simply looking for proof that was not true so that I could get him to give me the real reason.

I personally don't see the harm of having a cell phone number listed so that my clients/prospects can get a hold of me directly.

As noted before, that's just a way of your boss protecting his marketing results. I don't think it's anything inappropriate or makes him a control freak, but that could be the case.

Tell him to pay the bill and then the number will be associated with the company or get you a phone. Either that or have a few friends constantly call the office asking for your phone number because when they went on the website it was not there. They can call looking for quotes or whatever. I would do it anyway just to make sure you are getting your business. If it bugs someone enough, then he'll put it on the site. However, it might not be fair to others who are not on the site. Nobody here has seen the site and nobody knows what your bosses business intentions are for not allowing it. Too much speculation here.

I'm just trying to add my number to the contact us page by my name. I'm not trying to change the main number that is all over the site.

Newby, I understand that he's the boss and what he says goes but he was the one that brought up the fact that the number is not registered with the DOI. I was simply looking for proof that was not true so that I could get him to give me the real reason.

I personally don't see the harm of having a cell phone number listed so that my clients/prospects can get a hold of me directly.

There is no harm while you are employed by this agency, however your boss is probably thinking ahead to down the road when you decide to move on and does not want "HIS CUSTOMERS" thats right they are his clients not yours and does not want the number they get used to reaching you on a number that you would take with you when you left. If you can't see why he would be concerned about this then I can't help you...Also forget the website get the cell number added to your business card if he will let you.

Back