What Font Do You Use for Your Website/s?

Jib

Expert
AZ
This may seem like a mundane topic to some, but I've been messing around with different font types and sizes- trying to find one easy on the eyes while not looking too clutered.

Seems size 14 is popular, although 16-18 looks much easier to read without squinting.

thoughts on this?

Thanks for the info, I was actually going to be playing with fonts this week on Sharepoint. Testing Microsoft Office 365 right now.

Coming from a web development background I've seen a lot of theory around font sizes. The trend is moving towards "bigger is better". But the trend is also to have less words on the page altogether.

For websites with a lot of text I tend to use 12px as the over all document font size.

Also remember that browsers don't play nicely with each other. Explorer for one cannot properly translate certain fonts which is why most style sheets list three different fonts.

And yes, the trend now is to 14px.

This may seem like a mundane topic to some, but I've been messing around with different font types and sizes- trying to find one easy on the eyes while not looking too clutered.

Seems size 14 is popular, although 16-18 looks much easier to read without squinting.

thoughts on this?

Just find an online font viewer, write a word and see which one looks like it fits your page, and looks readable.

Font size could be from 12 - 14px. Another important factor would be line height. You should keep it as 1.3-1.5em or 16-18px. The color of the font should be such that it can be easily read with the background of your website.

My advice is to keep things as clean as possible - don't mix up too many different font sizes (e.g. keep one for header type 1, one for header type 2, one for text), be consistent and then test how it looks on different browsers and different screen sizes.

I would stick with a 14pt. sanserif font. You should also check out Google Fonts for a huge variety of open source fonts.

Back