What I Learned About Twitter Follows and Facebook Likes

Well, I guess I just don't understand any of this social media stuff. My phone rings every day and I dont have enough time to stay on top of the people that call me, much less try to think of catchy 70 character tweets and facebook posts?? I just can't think of anything new and different to say about long term care insurance that hasn't already been said without coming across as some spammy tweeter?? Twitterer?? Whatever its called.

You're certainly in the minority. Most agents and sales people are looking for new customers actively and so prospecting is important. It's not necessarily about thinking of catchy posts as it is about using social media as a way of interacting with your audience. For LTC I don't know that twitter is super relevant, but facebook could definitely be. With insurance needs for younger folks like home and auto a number of agencies have done well by creating a facebook page and getting their clients to like it and promote them around.

You're certainly in the minority. Most agents and sales people are looking for new customers actively and so prospecting is important. It's not necessarily about thinking of catchy posts as it is about using social media as a way of interacting with your audience. For LTC I don't know that twitter is super relevant, but facebook could definitely be. With insurance needs for younger folks like home and auto a number of agencies have done well by creating a facebook page and getting their clients to like it and promote them around.

So how many policies are you able to sell per week and keep up with all the social media on your own?

So how many policies are you able to sell per week and keep up with all the social media on your own?

It'll come as no surprise that the answer is zero as my full-time job is a list broker and while I'm still licensed, I haven't sold any insurance in a few years.

Seriously, how does anyone have time for all this stuff? If you are spending all of your time on facebook, linkedin and twitter, how do you have time to follow up with clients, underwriters, etc. Seems like an excuse to pretend you are busy.

If your site is set up properly you dont really need to spend any time on them at all.

I dont see social media as a prospecting tool. I see it as an SEO tool.

Set up your site to push out any new posts or pages to your G+/FB/TW accounts. All you have to do is keep publishing new articles like you already are doing.

Sure, occasionally someone will find your page click on a post and be directed to your site.... but more importantly googlebots will find your posts and index them as quality links to your site.... which will boost your SEO and keep your site/pages relevant in google.

I also know a guy who pays a highschool kid to spend a few hours per week posting links and blurbs about new articles/featured products/etc on social media. He also builds up the followers/etc for him by reaching out to people on it. He claims that kid is the highest ROI he has ever had on marketing dollars.

Maybe I will go down that road someday, but for now it is all just for SEO purposes. Personally I hate social media, it annoys me.

Latest posts

Back