What I Learned About Twitter Follows and Facebook Likes

Josh

Guru
5000 Post Club
Over the weekend my wife helped me setup a twitter profile and a facebook profile for my new product. I guess it's "good manners" to follow people that follow you on twitter. It's very easy to do on twitter, not so sure about with facebook. I don't think it's the same way with facebook, but it certainly helps to build your following and credibility. I'm not sure how much either help, but I know google watches them and specifically looks for "organic" type activity in terms of are people following you teenagers from India or business people in the states and such.

How do you grow your twitter and facebook followers?

Anyone looking for twitter or facebook followers feel free to hit either of mine for some love back:

https://twitter.com/listshack

https://www.facebook.com/listshack

Google supposedly gives you "credit" for FB likes to your website, not your FB page. Same for Twitter.

If you use something like SEOQuake you can see the number of FB, Twitter and G+ "likes" on your website pages.

I can't say I've mastered this yet but there a few things I can say for sure will grow your following on Twitter.

1. Offer good content that people don't want to miss and share it on Twitter. I've followed people on Twitter after reading something great from them and wanting to make sure I don't miss something in the future. Seems simple but it's just another reason that great content is important.

2. Follow people - I started at ZERO followers like everyone else and my first step is to follow people. I followed 100 people in the first few weeks and got about 20 followers from it. So naturally, the more people you follow, the more followers you will have. There are many complexities to this including your ratio or followers to following and Twitters set limits on this.

3. Be social - they don't call it social marketing for nothing. You have to be active on twitter to engage people and grow your following. I'll be first to admit that I don't have time to look at Twitter some days, weeks, or months. In the months that I do nothing, my following naturally goes down.

4. Interact with medium names - You can interact with big companies to get some attention but interacting with medium size Twitter accounts is more likely to generate a response and get you noticed.

Just a few thoughts from my experience. Hope it helps.

Here's a podcast I listened to last week on the topic and found it pretty helpful to devote some time to Twitter but still keep it efficient.

You'll have to copy/paste since I'm not allowed to post links yet.

internetbusinessmastery.com/ibm-213-twitter-strategy-authentic-effective-efficient

Over the weekend my wife helped me setup a twitter profile and a facebook profile for my new product. I guess it's "good manners" to follow people that follow you on twitter. It's very easy to do on twitter, not so sure about with facebook. I don't think it's the same way with facebook, but it certainly helps to build your following and credibility. I'm not sure how much either help, but I know google watches them and specifically looks for "organic" type activity in terms of are people following you teenagers from India or business people in the states and such.

How do you grow your twitter and facebook followers?

Anyone looking for twitter or facebook followers feel free to hit either of mine for some love back:

https://twitter.com/listshack

https://www.facebook.com/listshack

Dont forget G+. From what ive been reading lately google seems to really like themselves... lol.

I connected with you on Twitter & FB. If you want to go to the footer of my site http://fixedannuity4me.com and like/+1 my page that would be awesome! (its at the bottom of the homepage)

Last edited:
Dont forget G+. From what ive been reading lately google seems to really like themselves... lol.

I connected with you on Twitter & FB. If you want to go to the footer of my site Fixed Annuity 4 Me | The best Fixed Annuity Rates and like/+1 my page that would be awesome!

Google definitely loves G+, probably mostly based off the fact it's easier for them to track "suspicious" likes and such.

Thanks for the love, sending some back.

Consider your market.

G+ is mostly tech type nerds.

Twitter has become the new fave for the under 30 crowd.

Facebook is more popular than ever for age 50+, especially women.

LinkedIn seems to work best for B2B marketing, white collar types.

Consider your market.

G+ is mostly tech type nerds.

Twitter has become the new fave for the under 30 crowd.

Facebook is more popular than ever for age 50+, especially women.

LinkedIn seems to work best for B2B marketing, white collar types.

I look at it in a totally different light.

I see them all as SEO boosters. Not direct advertising. If I get some residual business from them great. But they are basically my form of linkbuilding these days.

I have a G+ Business Page for my fixed annuity website. It is the one I want to build up, not my personal (even though my personal is linked to my corporate gmail account...)

I currently have my local page set up as my annuity website too, but I am switching that over to link to my business owners digest site, since that is the main focus of my local business.

The only reason I am on G+ is because google wants my site linked with it.
Of course it is nice also, because it automatically uses my G+ Business Page's Pic as the Rich Snippet Pic for my homepage. And it is much more likely to actually show the snippet in searches if the site is linked and authorship verified.

If it's not the under-30 crowd babbling about Bieber or whatnot, Twitter is mainly marketers marketing to marketers, when it's not fomenting revolution in countries other than the USA. Since I'm trying to reach consumers, Twitter hasn't been too useful to me. Josh, I imagine you are trying to reach insurance agents and other buyers of lists & such, Twitter might work very well for you. You might want to look up the Twitter accounts of insurance companies, and follow the people following them.

One caveat: when I started with Twitter several years ago, I could follow a lot of people without problem. Recently, I tried to follow 25 people a day (weeding out people outside the USA, marketers, and fake, spam accounts -- if you see one of the many Twitter accounts featuring female cleavage (boob bait) prominently, it's probably a fake account), and after 3 days, had my Twitter account suspended for "aggressive following." I was able to get it reinstated by promising to be a good boy, but I don't think I was being aggressive, trying to spam the Twitter-verse.

Tweet links to your good content and useful content of others, and general info without links, but I wouldn't Tweet more than a few times a day at most, because people are quick to "unfollow" you, if they feel spammed.

With Facebook, I'd "like" every insurance agency Facebook page you can locate, and maybe post on their wall. As with Twitter, you do not want to "like" in high volume, over a short period of time.

I'll "like, follow, & +1" you.

Last edited:
Back