What Makes You Trust a Website?

Probably doesn't matter for what you do with a national market. If I'm looking to do business with someone local and they don't have an address or local phone number listed I know they aren't a local business. If they just have an address with no local phone I'm leery it's just an address and not a location and they are actually out of state.

The more you put that says this is who I am and I'm easy to find gives one the sense that you don't have reason to hide.

I think you're spot on. If you're looking for local you'd definitely want a local number, but the reality I think you're right in that adding a local number does add trust.

Any reason for only a local number verses an 800 line? That's something I've never thought of.

Local number definitely builds trust. Anyone can get a 1800 number as an add-on for a website. But you need a real physical address for a local landline.

Even for national advertising I would give a choice between the two. Just showing that you have the local number gives credibility. And obviously for local marketing a local number is much better. It always makes me wonder if a local company gives me a 1800 number to contact them at.

Local number definitely builds trust. Anyone can get a 1800 number as an add-on for a website. But you need a real physical address for a local landline.

You may need an address for a landline, but a local number is just as easy to get as an 800 line, maybe easier.

Seniors with the old land line
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Even for national advertising I would give a choice between the two. Just showing that you have the local number gives credibility. And obviously for local marketing a local number is much better. It always makes me wonder if a local company gives me a 1800 number to contact them at.

You don't a real physical address for a local number. Google Voice, Magicjack and Nettalk can get you a number in many area codes without a physical address there.

Last edited:
You don't a real physical address for a local number. Google Voice, Magicjack and Nettalk can get you a number in many area codes without a physical address there.

Good point, I guess I need to re-examine my webtrust-radar!

I still think it helps to build trust. Most people dont think about those options

Google.....
Your domain
Your domain + reviews
Your domain + complaints

If you wanna build a brand control your branded serps.

Typically when i search ill first go non branded keywords then search around. If i find a company im interested in, ill then look up reviews, complaints, consumer comments, and listings for the business.

Last edited:
Google.....
Your domain
Your domain + reviews
Your domain + complaints

If you wanna build a brand control your branded serps.

Typically when i search ill first go non branded keywords then search around. If i find a company im interested in, ill then look up reviews, complaints, consumer comments, and listings for the business.

I always see it as a HUGE red flag (let's just say that I'm Astonished) when I see a business stuffing the SERPs for "their domain + sucks", "their domain + complaints", and "their domain + reviews". Makes me think they are trying really hard to hide something.

Back