What's the Ideal Way to Set Up Online Quote Forms?

My preference is more leads, less qualification. A few years ago, when I was much busier, fewer leads, more qualification would have been good.
Dan

I think that Dan makes a good point. Your business situation should drive your website strategy.

I also think that the mini skirt analogy is a good one. However, it applies to more than just the number of questions on the form.

It also applies to the design of the page. I prefer to make my form the primary thing that shows above the fold.

I sold across kitchen tables back in the 80s and 90s. When I smelled a sale, I closed. I didn't ask for a drink of water or talk about other products. And no matter how many glasses of water I had earlier in the interview, I wasn't about to go to the bathroom and leave the couple alone to give one of them the opportunity to talk the other out of buying. Once I smelled the sale I started completing the application and kept writing unless they stopped me.

I apply the same thinking to my web forms. I try to sell my visitors on the pages that link to my form. Once I get them on the form, I want to close them.

You want to minimize the links to other pages. A link to your privacy policy may increase your conversions, but most other links should be avoided.

You should include elements make it easier for people to trust you. These elements can include the logos of the companies you represent, the BBB logo, your SSL certificate logo and your phone number.

Don't overdo the credibility logos! It can easily turn into a "methinks thou dost protest too much" situation. (Wearing a t-shirt that says "I don't have VD," can make your potential dating partners suspicious.")

You should definitely show your phone number. Prominently displaying your phone number not only increases the number of people who call, it usually increases online conversions slightly.

My preference is for a form landing page that has very little text above the fold (like on my new home owners insurance site), but I plan to split test a design that has more text.

Ehealth puts the form "in your face" as the dominant element above the fold, but still gives you some text to read if you care to. Obviously they have been more than a little successful with their site.

If you have low volume it will take a while for an A/B test to give you statistically valid results. However, it won't cost you anything to install GWO. The software will tell you when you have a large enough sample size. If it takes months to get an answer, so what?

If your form has a low conversion rate, I recommend A/B testing radically different pages. Don't make little "tweaks" until you have a page that converts well.

(You don't even need to know anything about statistics. You do need to know your colors. Green is the winner, red is the loser. Yellow means that you need to run the test longer.)

mynarky: thanks for the suggestion but I don't do life, only P&C.

ksigmtsu: "Are you showing a quote onscreen when they hit submit? If not they're probably going to another site after yours if they're looking for prices". - I agree with you but with my carriers, I don't have a choice in that. with 3 of my 4 quote forms, it just isn't possible. But I do my best to minimize lag time. My cell alerts me when I get a submission and I carry my laptop everywhere I go.

DJS: I agree about VIN#'s causing people to leave if it's required. I make it optional to enter either the vin# or the year,make,model. That way, they aren't required to enter it. But if they do, I know I've got a very serious prospect!

Aaron: my site is only 9 months old. it's gradually crawling it's way up, but it's a slow crawl! my site is only getting about 10 hits a day, 10-15 quotes a week, and 1-2 sales a week (and that may drop temporarily since I just registered my own domain 2 days ago). with those numbers, I might retire before I get adequate A/B data!

Alston: once again, great stuff! I will be making those corrections tomorrow. thanks a lot! (I liked your VD analogy! very funny but your point is well taken)

Aaron: my site is only 9 months old. it's gradually crawling it's way up, but it's a slow crawl! my site is only getting about 10 hits a day, 10-15 quotes a week, and 1-2 sales a week (and that may drop temporarily since I just registered my own domain 2 days ago). with those numbers, I might retire before I get adequate A/B data!

That is enough traffic to do an A/B test. Just don't do "meek tweaking" You want to make radical changes. If B is 10% better or worse than A, you will have to run the test forever. If B is 50% better or worse, you will have a large enough sample size in a month or two.

You can either read a book or two about web design and/or form design or you can find a form that you like and copy the format.

I suggest that your B page has black text on a white or light background. This is the standard for insurance sites.

You can even grab the code from a page that you like and start manipulating it in Dreamweaver (or whatever you use to design your site). However, you may need to also copy the external CSS file.

If you don't understand CSS yet, it may be easier to try to duplicate the form by eye.

You should also make the capitalization consistent on your forms. This is a change that you can safely make without testing.

There is definitely a place for tweaking your site and using multivariate testing, but I think that you are at a stage where you need to test radically different designs.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Answers to the web form question will be changing with newer follow up systems. I have been testing a platform that allows me to automate followup: email sequencing, automated phone calls, automated mailings, and prospect scoring.

Different prospects get treated differently. I bucket them by value, fit, and interest level. Interest level is determined by tracking clicks on links embedded in follow up emails. Those prospects showing interest, in high value high fit categories get personal calls.

Automated follow up lets you migrate to a shorter web form. Capture more leads up front, then keep them in your prospect pool to drip on over time. Pick up the phone when the timing is right, based upon actions your prospects are taking.

For those looking to create their own online forms, here is a very easy to use online tool that I have used for quite a while and have found it to be very useful.

FormExperts.com

Last edited:
Back