Where To Begin On Online Marketing Strategy for Insurance Biz?

Obviously a lot has changed in the past couple years regarding search engine optimization, and wondered if anyone has any thoughts on how to best position your insurance website to rank high?

Today, SEO requires an overall campaign. Work on niche areas is a good start. Avoid cutting corners. Page rank is a long term project, so focus on quality.

Content tends to be one of the primary factors that hurts most websites because, they lack it. Keep it original and keep it coming.

Focus on providing quality content and you will naturally obtain relevant inbound links over time. As mentioned earlier in this thread, any quick and dirty "SEO Packages" will almost certainly lead to a big slap by the Google algorithm.

Just be ware that Google changed thier algos earlier this year which are destroying some of the older SEO techniques. Make sure that whatever you do... you follw the new guidelines. A lot of companies haven't kept up.

Yep, you have to be on top of your game today for organic search engine optimization strategies. What worked yesterday doesn't work today.

Example: exact match domain names. Three weeks ago they worked, now those who have exact match domain names are penalized!

Exact match domain name is: www.carinsuranceDallasTexas.com (I just made this domain name I don't know if it's really a domain name, if it is it's probably been nuked by Google.)

Yep, you have to be on top of your game today for organic search engine optimization strategies. What worked yesterday doesn't work today.

Example: exact match domain names. Three weeks ago they worked, now those who have exact match domain names are penalized!

Exact match domain name is: www.carinsuranceDallasTexas.com (I just made this domain name I don't know if it's really a domain name, if it is it's probably been nuked by Google.)

I think you're using the world "penalized" a bit harsh.

If you search for "affordable marketing lists" as of just now I'm the top two results and my facebook page was position 4. I have an EMD.

Car insurance is a SUPER competitive term, yet carinsurance.org is one of the first listings (once you ignore the local listings which they don't have a crack at).

The very top search result for "virginia health insurance" is basically an EMD, Virginia Health Insurance: find affordable coverage.

I just started going SEO about a year ago and despite several major changes to the algorithm, the sites I've taken the time to "do right" keep doing better. My traffic in the last two weeks has doubled, a trend that's expected to continue.

Jack, if I may be so bold, I think you've had some success and done well with your own site, but it sounds like your experience is fairly limited and you may be messing up some facts. Everyone is looking for the "secret to weight loss", but it's simple, diet and exercise. If you eat less and exercise more, you'll lose weight. There is no way around the math, negative caloric intake results in weight loss. On that same point, quality content that's updated regularly is a stable way to grow search traffic. There are cheap tricks you can use to bump your traffic (which still has merit), but for sustainable growth if you keep adding content and creating a quality user experience, google strongly approves.

Me, I do both. I have some sites I put good content on consistently (perhaps not as consistently as I should), and I have others I use parlor tricks on. Sometimes those parlor tricks yield lasting results, other times it gets wiped out with an algorithm change, but there is no reason someone committed to SEM shouldn't be doing both.

I think you're using the world "penalized" a bit harsh.

If you search for "affordable marketing lists" as of just now I'm the top two results and my facebook page was position 4. I have an EMD.

Car insurance is a SUPER competitive term, yet carinsurance.org is one of the first listings (once you ignore the local listings which they don't have a crack at).

The very top search result for "virginia health insurance" is basically an EMD, Virginia Health Insurance: find affordable coverage.

I just started going SEO about a year ago and despite several major changes to the algorithm, the sites I've taken the time to "do right" keep doing better. My traffic in the last two weeks has doubled, a trend that's expected to continue.

Jack, if I may be so bold, I think you've had some success and done well with your own site, but it sounds like your experience is fairly limited and you may be messing up some facts. Everyone is looking for the "secret to weight loss", but it's simple, diet and exercise. If you eat less and exercise more, you'll lose weight. There is no way around the math, negative caloric intake results in weight loss. On that same point, quality content that's updated regularly is a stable way to grow search traffic. There are cheap tricks you can use to bump your traffic (which still has merit), but for sustainable growth if you keep adding content and creating a quality user experience, google strongly approves.

Me, I do both. I have some sites I put good content on consistently (perhaps not as consistently as I should), and I have others I use parlor tricks on. Sometimes those parlor tricks yield lasting results, other times it gets wiped out with an algorithm change, but there is no reason someone committed to SEM shouldn't be doing both.

The strange thing about the algorithm changes is that they do not hit everywhere all at once... For instance one of the keywords that we focused on for my agency

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]I had the very first position on page 1organically for more than 18 months. Google rolled out a penguin update that was targeting excessive blog commenting backlinks… I did not get hit with that penalty about two months after they rolled out that update… but eventually I did get hit. (from page 1 1st position out ranking a 6 billion insurance company to page 3)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]The penalty is coming.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial","sans-serif]If you have not been hit yet, it's just right around the corner. If you are relying upon exact match domain names, you are going to be in a world of hurt very soon.[/FONT]

EMD is a strategy of the past. I have 13 EMD web sites, they were all hit, if you know anything about SEO we were completely diversified on the linking strategy. Unless Google changes its mind the EMD penalty is here to stay.

Latest posts

Back