Where To Begin On Online Marketing Strategy for Insurance Biz?

Look boss, clearly you believe you have this all figured out. It sounds like you've come here to attempt establish credibility and sell your services (which is just ducky). Don't let me get in the way of you making whatever claims you want and calling whatever you want "not blackhat".

Anything outside of basically building content on your site and coding it the way you want (actually optimizing your website for search engines) is blackhat. If you're going to article directories and doing manual blog commenting, that's blackhat. Again, if you want to call it something other than what it is then go for it, but it is what it is. Just because you're not using scrapebox or spinning it, doesn't put you above the rest, you're just taking more time and arguably doing a better job of being blackhat, but that doesn't mean you're doing it "right".
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I don't normally like to call folks out, but since you seem to want to "back up" what you're saying, why on earth do you have a backlink from headway to your site? What does this have to do with insurance?

Please don't misunderstand me here, I use blackhat techniques and have had some pretty stellar results from them, but I find it a bit patronizing for you to claim you're all whitehat and do it "right", when in digging through your backlinks for all of one minute I find gems like the above and this little monster:

A backlink on pandora.com with the anchor text "Cincinnati insurance". The discussion has NOTHING to do with insurance, but you've got a backlink there.

It sounds like you're doing well for yourself and I'm not saying you aren't, but can we at least agree to call it what it is?

Hey Josh, would you mind if I returned the favor of calling you out?

It might seem that a refresher course in what Black Hat might be in order:

Black Hat" search engine optimization is customarily defined as techniques that are used to get higher search rankings in an unethical manner. These black hat SEO techniques usually include one or more of the following characteristics:
  • breaks search engine rules and regulations
  • creates a poor user experience directly because of the SEO techniques utilized on the Web site
  • unethically presents content in a different visual or non-visual way to search engine spiders and search engine users.
Can you please share with us how making a comment on a blog is Black Hat (unethical) according to Google? Has Matt explained to us in clear terms that blogg commenting is against the TOS for Google and anyone that makes a comment for blogging is engaged in Black Hat Techniques?

Please enlighten us!

Let me ask you a question, why are you here? If not to sell services or be educated in some matter?

That's why I asked you what you believe Black Hat is, some have an incorrect perception of what Black hat is.

Since you think that you have some knowledge about SEO, then you of course realize that SEO is an ever evolving process, where as the search engines are attempting to minimize the efforts of those truly were engaged in black hat tactics and as the algorithms change so too does the methods to achieve ranking. (Your refernce to one of my links that I obtained years ago.)

What do you do for a living Josh? Are you an insurance agent?

Affiliate marketer? Or are you just hanging out and having fun?
Look boss, clearly you believe you have this all figured out. It sounds like you've come here to attempt establish credibility and sell your services (which is just ducky). Don't let me get in the way of you making whatever claims you want and calling whatever you want "not blackhat".

Let me ask you another question, Josh I didn't respond to the Ducky part in your last message...why are you on the forum?

Your signature links to a service you sell to insurance agents, a leads lists.

Why would it be "ducky" for me to offer to provide a service to others but it's not "ducky" for you to provide a service to others?

Just curious...
Hey Josh, would you mind if I returned the favor of calling you out?

Black Hat" search engine optimization is customarily defined as techniques that are used to get higher search rankings in an unethical manner. These black hat SEO techniques usually include one or more of the following characteristics:
  • creates a poor user experience directly because of the SEO techniques utilized on the Web site
  • unethically presents content in a different visual or non-visual way to search engine spiders and search engine users.
Can you please share with us how making a comment on a blog is Black Hat (unethical) according to Google? Has Matt explained to us in clear terms that blogg commenting is against the TOS for Google and anyone that makes a comment for blogging is engaged in Black Hat Techniques?

Please enlighten us!

Let me ask you a question, why are you here? If not to sell services or be educated in some matter?

That's why I asked you what you believe Black Hat is, some have an incorrect perception of what Black hat is.

Since you think that you have some knowledge about SEO, then you of course realize that SEO is an ever evolving process, where as the search engines are attempting to minimize the efforts of those truly were engaged in black hat tactics and as the algorithms change so too does the methods to achieve ranking. (Your refernce to one of my links that I obtained years ago.)

Let me ask you another question, Josh I didn't respond to the Ducky part in your last message...why are you on the forum?

Why would it be "ducky" for me to offer to provide a service to others but it's not "ducky" for you to provide a service to others?

Just curious...

You sell a lead list for insurance agents, do you own the company?

Or are you a sales rep for the company?

Do you compile your lead list on your own, or are you a reseller for Info USA or another aggregator?

I like the look of your web site. It doesn't look like you have Google analytics installed, is there a reason why you don't have Google analytics installed on your website to track hits to your website? (I have heard from other webmasters that they refuse to install this because they don't want Google in their business, is that the reason why you do not have analytics installed?)
I like the look of your web site. It doesn't look like you have Google analytics installed, is there a reason why you don't have Google analytics installed on your website to track hits to your website? (I have heard from other webmasters that they refuse to install this because they don't want Google in their business, is that the reason why you do not have analytics installed?)

I see you have an EMD and you are in the first position for that keyword...wow. Did you lose any positioning after Google rolled out the EMD penalty awhile back and then regained it?

I noticed on one forum that those who have an EMD experience a catastrophic drop in rankings and then the next week they regained their rankings.

I checked your hit ratio and it looks like your hits are down 70.18% in the last 30 days. (That's a significant drop)

Compete is not accurate of course. Unless you have some fear of Google analytics I would get it installed on your website.

Last edited:

Please enlighten us!

Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: New notifications about inbound links

I suppose google just sends out unnatural link building messages to webmasters because they want to give them a pat on the back?

Simply put, black hat is just about anything outside of creating quality on page content and coding it correctly. Backlinking to your car insurance site from Pandora for example is unnatural link building. It's hard for google to keep up with which is why it works, but google calls SEM search engine manipulation while you may call it search engine marketing or SEO.

If you feel more comfortable calling it something else, great, but Google doesn't not appreciate any unnatural link building and when you do it, you are breaking their terms of service. Google's official policy is if you build quality content then they will reward it. Don't take my word for it though, here it is on google: Webmaster Guidelines - Webmaster Tools Help.

Eh. Some things change, but that's mostly the blackhat, cheap trick things. Sites that provide quality content on a regular basis are consistently rewarded by google. Forum backlinks used to work great. Scrapebox used to work great. There are tons of things that come and go, but most of it is the black hat (or whatever else you want to call it). Any changes in the google algorithm are done to try to keep users having a quality experience and the sites they like to reward are the ones that provide a quality user experience.

Wow, so much hostility from such a successful guy. To answer your questions, I run a tiny marketing company and while I do have telemarketers that do lead generation for me, primarily I offer my lists and have just started offering my dialer service. I am an insurance agent and have been for almost 10 years, most active in the Medicare Advantage market, but got out about a year after MIPPA because it became more difficult to market than I felt like dealing with, there were better opportunities elsewhere. I do some affiliate marketing, but that's mostly with my "play" websites I se to test different things, but that's just a bonus.

I am also here to hang out and have fun, but, if I wasn't making money at it, I wouldn't be able to spend as much time here.

I had been on this forum for a while before I started selling anything, but now that I do make money on here I spend a great deal more time posting. I do try to provide quality content which comes a bit more easily to me than the average vendor because aside from actually having a license, I have years of experience selling insurance.

Just curious...

I'm not understanding your question here. It seems like if you think I know SEO, I should be advertising that service here. To answer that question, it would distract from my core business and it's just not something I'm interested in doing. Most agents here don't have much of a budget for it (which is fine) and my efforts are better spent elsewhere. I don't think anyone else on here with any real experience doing SEO is going after that market, so it's wide open for you.

Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: New notifications about inbound links

I suppose google just sends out unnatural link building messages to webmasters because they want to give them a pat on the back?

Ok Josh, you did not answer the question. The link you submitted clearly does not state that leaving a blog comment is a violation, or Black hat technique. Blog commenting is not Black hat, however that being said Google has lowered the value of Blog commenting in the last year so those who have implemented too many blogging techniques have lost ranking...I will admit that one such keyword I possessed I was in the first position on page one of Google, even outranking multi billion dollar insurance companies, and I got knocked down to page three after they devalued blog comments because that one keyword was too heavily weighed with blog links, we did not garner much business from that keyword so I have not attempted to fix it with anchor link diversification...however blog commenting is not black hat as you believe it to be so. (It can be only if you use automatic software systems such as scrapebox to blast out thousands of blog comments to wordpress sites,otherwise it is not considered blackhat)
I'm not understanding your question here. It seems like if you think I know SEO, I should be advertising that service here. To answer that question, it would distract from my core business and it's just not something I'm interested in doing. Most agents here don't have much of a budget for it (which is fine) and my efforts are better spent elsewhere. I don't think anyone else on here with any real experience doing SEO is going after that market, so it's wide open for you.

You said that it was Ducky for me to promote myself but your signature line promotes your business. You don't see the point?

Last edited:
You said that it was Ducky for me to promote myself but your signature line promotes your business. You don't see the point?

Your question doesn't make sense.

Let me rephrase this for you:

It's just ducky (read "great") if you want to promote your SEO services here. I'm 100% for it. So if I think it's great for you to promote your SEO services here, what makes it noteworthy that I promote mine here?

If you get up to 100 posts you can even post it in the offers section!
ducky |ˈdəkē| informal

adjective
charming; delightful : everything here is just ducky.

Last edited:
Wow, so much hostility from such a successful guy.

Let me ask you a question...when someone makes a statement that you feel isuntrue, or not correct is it not within your right to defend your position?

Did I threaten you? Hostility in my opinion equals anger, I'm pointing outto you my viewpoint on matters. I believe that you are incorrect on some ofyour viewpoints that's all...I have no ill will feelings toward you, it seemsas if some individuals on this forum believe that this forum group is theirfiefdom and differing opinions should be attacked at will.

I merely providing you my viewpoint, which you can agree or disagree upon.
Your question doesn't make sense.

Let me rephrase this for you:

It's just ducky (read "great") if you want to promote your SEO services here. I'm 100% for it. So if I think it's great for you to promote your SEO services here, what makes it noteworthy that I promote mine here?

If you get up to 100 posts you can even post it in the offers section!
ducky |ˈdəkē| informal

adjective
charming; delightful : everything here is just ducky.

Thank you for the clarification, I really did not understand the reference "Ducky"

It's not a term used frequently in Cincinnati.

Last edited:
You can say just about anything you want here, new posters and folks that have been here for years do, each spending about as much time verifying the validity of what they say.

Sometimes folks come on here assuming that folks here "believe that this forum group is theirfiefdom and differing opinions should be attacked at will" when the reality is they just disagree. I think you're overly combative which I consider to be hostile. The dictionary has a different definition of hostility (definitions provided below). If you can't agree with the dictionaries definition of hostility then it should come as no surprise that you think that unnatural link building. I think google has made their position clear, but if you disagree, I truly don't believe it matters to anyone.

Good luck advertising your SEO services!

combative |kəmˈbativ|
adjective
ready or eager to fight; pugnacious : he made some enemies with his combative style.
DERIVATIVES
combatively adverb
combativeness noun

hostile |ˈhästl; ˈhäˌstīl|
adjective
unfriendly; antagonistic : a hostile audience | he wrote a ferociously hostile attack.
• of or belonging to a military enemy : hostile aircraft.
• [ predic. ] opposed : people are very hostile to the idea.

Josh said:
You can say just about anything you want here, new posters and folks that have been here for years do, each spending about as much time verifying the validity of what they say.

Sometimes folks come on here assuming that folks here "believe that this forum group is theirfiefdom and differing opinions should be attacked at will" when the reality is they just disagree. I think you're overly combative which I consider to be hostile. The dictionary has a different definition of hostility (definitions provided below). If you can't agree with the dictionaries definition of hostility then it should come as no surprise that you think that unnatural link building. I think google has made their position clear, but if you disagree, I truly don't believe it matters to anyone.

Good luck advertising your SEO services!

combative |k?m'bativ|
adjective
ready or eager to fight; pugnacious : he made some enemies with his combative style.
DERIVATIVES
combatively adverb
combativeness noun

hostile |'hästl; 'hä?st?l|
adjective
unfriendly; antagonistic : a hostile audience | he wrote a ferociously hostile attack.
o of or belonging to a military enemy : hostile aircraft.
o [ predic. ] opposed : people are very hostile to the idea.

You are confusing opinions with facts, you are incorrect in some of your statements, I was merely pointing that out.(sorry if you confuse that with Hostility, that is certainly was not my objective.)

By the way I am not about to launch an aerial attack on you, My F-18 is in the shop being worked on.

< I'm assuming and hoping that you understand that as a joke Per your dictionary definition that you provided for us all to consider? I do not own an F-18 and I am not about to drop a laser guided smart bomb on you, it's a joke. (Why so serious said the joker?)>

As I mentioned to you previously I have no ill will towards you, Some of your statements are flatly incorrect! (Just pointing that out, sorry if you feel I'm being hostile By pointing out your inaccuracies.)

I will not trouble you anymore responding to your comments on this thread (unless you tell me a joke) and If you feel like you must have the 'last word', feel free to have the 'last word'! (I'm getting ready to give you some ammunition in just a second so you can have the last word.)

I do like jokes, if its a clean one try to come up with something funny that applies to our discussion.(I might respond if you come up with something really funny. The dictionary thing wasn't really funny.)

I've been a member of this forum for three years but this is the first time I've ever considered trolling around Looking for damsels in distress, Dragons to slay, Crusades to begin. I discovered a land full of mystery and intrigue, yet one full of danger of wrong ideas about insurance website Seo from Princes and Kings that have lost their way.

My objective was to help the innocent learn the truth, I recruited armies, built siege ramparts, garnered support only to discover that there was no one to help!

The overlords of the fiefdom were too deeply entrenched in their thousands of posts, and boasts of all knowing insurance SEO knowledge thereby Vanquishing the hero In his feeble attempt to allow others to discover the truth!

I surrender!!!! (You win!!!)

All hail the Insurance forum Fiefdom!

Don't mess with the fiefs, they rule and off with your heads if you disagree. :-)

Jacky boy, out with it. Why don't you go ahead and share the "truth" with us? You went well above and beyond just diagreeing, you've been a jerk. If you really just want to share information, just dial down the hostility and go for it. I don't know who is stopping you, but it's certainly not me. In fact, hold that though just a moment.
Here you go:

SEO According to JackThomas

Tell us all about it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back