Where To Begin On Online Marketing Strategy for Insurance Biz?

Rearden

Guru
5000 Post Club
Hi guys,

I'm looking at the possibility of creating a website with the long-term goal of ranking high for several keywords.

I had created a website for my former personal training business and got it ranked #2 locally for "Chattanooga Personal Trainer" without any SEO assistance after about 1-2 years. I had posted a ton of content, several videos, and had a regular inflow of traffic from people reading my articles and advertisements. I didn't use "black hat" methods or any of that stuff.

Obviously a lot has changed in the past couple years regarding search engine optimization, and wondered if anyone has any thoughts on how to best position your insurance website to rank high?

I figure lots of quality content... relevant links... maybe even some PPC advertising, too.

Do you guys build a specific website for a specific target market (marijuana use life insurance? No-med Life insurance?) or do you have a "central" website and have relevant articles for a variety of niche subjects?

Are you trying to reach the marijuana smoking or other difficult to underwrite markets? Your specific carriers might be able to help.

You probably don't need to have a specific site for each product. "Keyword sniping" isn't as easy as it used to be. You're likely better off trying to build up an authority site and getting a lot of great content on there including some pages dedicated specifically to things like "marijuana life insurance in Chattanooga".

Content is always good.

Not sure what you mean by relevant links, but the linking that is going to impact the value of your site is people linking to your site (or at least other sites linking to your site) as opposed to you linking to other sites.

How to get your site to rank well for competitive terms is a moving target with no hard manual. In general, good content, high PR backlinks along with a diverse backlink profile with a diverse keyword profile.

Blog posts on specific keywords. Each post has its own page, keywords in tags and pinged. Some have internal links. Varied anchor text.

Go local.

It's a lot harder nowadays to rank high with a lot of emphasis being placed on social sharing on Facebook and Twitter. You have to continually build links, advertise, update fresh content and optimize your pages. If you do not run an active site then you will drop rankings quick.

Thanks for the advice, y'all.

You can research keywords in Google Adwords, right?

Any other software out there that you can analyze performance metrics?

Tons of software out there to do all sorts of this stuff. Some of the guys here have made full-time careers out of it.

There's the adwords traffic estimator and the keyword tool, both do neat things.

I have Market Samurai and I like it a lot, but not everyone does.

SerpIQ is great, but expensive.
AHREFS is great.
Keyword Spy can be helpful.
Some folks like SEMRush.

Those are just a few services/software.

Big fan of Raven Tools. Similar to what some of the above mentioned tools do. Helps discover keywords on your existing site as well as the Top 100 of any other site.

Just be ware that Google changed thier algos earlier this year which are destroying some of the older SEO techniques. Make sure that whatever you do... you follw the new guidelines. A lot of companies haven't kept up.

Just be ware that Google changed thier algos earlier this year which are destroying some of the older SEO techniques. Make sure that whatever you do... you follw the new guidelines. A lot of companies haven't kept up.

what were some of the older techniques that no longer work?

Back