Wordpress Mirror Blog?

Dave020

Super Moderator
California
Ok, web and blog gurus, I have a question.

I have a blog on blogspot and this is the blog I link to via my web site (davefluker.blogspot.com). That's it.

But, what exactly is this one (Health Insurance California | Health Plans California, Affordable Health Insurance California)?

It is my exact content from my blogspot blog duplicated into this blog. But it's not exactly stolen as there is no other person or agent taking any credit and all links are my links.

Is this something Wordpress does to get you to use their blog instead or as well, or is this the work of an actual person?

Last edited:
Looks like your stuff got stolen by Health Insurance California | California Health Insurance | Health Insurance CA - ihealthInsuranceCalifornia.com

If you click here you will see they are hosted by Dreamhost in Brea, CA. Contact them at Web Hosting by DreamHost Web Hosting: Web Sites, Domain Registration, WordPress, Ruby on Rails, all on Debian Linux! (perhaps at their abuse address at bottom of page) and tell the the issue and say you want them to assist you in protecting your copyrighted material. You might mention to them that you CAN get a court order to make them reveal the owner of the site.

DH is a very reputable company so I doubt you will have much of a problem with them. They are one of the premier Wordpress hosting companies.

Al

I don't know if this will do you any good or not (it may only help if you've had the content copyrighted). but if you want to complain to google directly about stolen content, here is the link:

Google Help

I doubt that I will ever have to worry about someone stealing my content (I wish I had that problem!). One look at my blog and you'll see that I'm an average writer at best. And thus, I haven't bothered to copyright anything.

but if someone stole my article, and then ranked ahead of me on profitable keywords.... that would seriously piss me off!

Last edited:
With your links in place it is difficult to make a case. Quite a few sites will use material, copyrighted or otherwise, but will give credit to the originator. If they claimed your material was theirs that would be different.

I don't use blogger, so don't know if there is copy protection or not. WP has a plugin that prevents people from copy & paste which can make it more challenging if someone wants to steal your stuff.

In my experience this happens quite often (our blog content, videos, and articles end up all over the place, often spun to look like new content). My personal belief that right or wrong, this is part of the nature of the web these days. Rather than trying to stop content theft, we focus on trying to be a content source. Produce good content and the audience, backlinks, and search engines will come to you even if someone else is copying it or mirroring it.

On the positive side, they're giving you additional backlinks that go back to your site. Plus, it looks like Google's seeing your original blog as the primary source for your content (see your rankings compared to the content thief in this sample search).

If you want to bring the site down, follow al3's advice and contact Dreamhost. You can reach them at (213)947-1032.

In my experience this happens quite often (our blog content, videos, and articles end up all over the place, often spun to look like new content). My personal belief that right or wrong, this is part of the nature of the web these days. Rather than trying to stop content theft, we focus on trying to be a content source. Produce good content and the audience, backlinks, and search engines will come to you even if someone else is copying it or mirroring it.

On the positive side, they're giving you additional backlinks that go back to your site. Plus, it looks like Google's seeing your original blog as the primary source for your content (see your rankings compared to the content thief in this sample search).

If you want to bring the site down, follow al3's advice and contact Dreamhost. You can reach them at (213)947-1032.

Thanks everyone. I am hesitant to make a big deal about this as it seems simply to be a mirror of the original blog. I agree with Aaron, it is providing me value which is why I wondered what it was. I just have to remember to put more backlinks to myself in each blog post and end with a signature to identify the author and original blog.

Back