New to Forum. Need a System/routine!

I've been an independent agent now for about 4 years. My primary focus is on getting new commercial accounts. Before becoming a producer I was a competent P+C field adjuster for 2 years with a captive company. I now work for a small but well established independent agency in a rural area, several surrounding small towns.

The agency I work for has been around and is well respected. The principal relies on referrals alone for new biz - they have never cold called, bought leads, or knocked on doors. The current agency principal took over the agency from his father and has really never had to do any systematic prospecting to get new accounts - people know him and his family and just ask for him. They hired me to be their first true producer charged with going out and getting new biz in surrounding towns. Any new accounts I write are self procured, they do not buy leads for me, advertise my name, give me allowance for lunch appointments, nor do I get walk-ins or calls unless another agent is out of the office. They started me with a base salary that is being drawn down until Im strictly commission. They are about to remove the salary completely but my sales are still nowhere near enough to make a living. Part of the problem is that I've been tied down in the office spending more time servicing and quoting than a producer should. I've addressed this more than once within the agency and its getting better and freeing up some time.

When I became an adjuster I knew nothing about insurance but the company that hired me provided a mentor, extensive training, and gave me a system for doing my job and staying on top of my claims. That is something I asked for but have not received as a producer. There is no one at our agency who has ever had to go out and get new business. They have sent me to sales seminars but the focus is always on what to do once you get an appointment, they rarely hit on a system for getting appointments or a way of keeping that process organized and efficient.

Any suggestions on how I can create a routine and systematic approach to getting new business? Im an organized person but for some reason I cant get organized when it comes to this! Ive been a producer this long and feel like day to day I have not direction about what I should be doing and how I should be getting new business. Right now I just have a mess of notes and lists about businesses i'd either like to write, or that I have approached at one time of another. I'd like to have a file system in place for prospecting similar to the way I managed having 100 claims at a time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Back