New to the Industry and Forum.

victor247

Expert
Hi guys. My name is Victor Tokarev. Graduated with a bachelors in accounting, did that for a year and decided to change my career path. Im currently an agent with New York Life but exploring options with different companies. I only have 4 months under my belt and it seems to be going well. Local Mass Mutual is trying to recruit me but im not sure if i want to do that. They are offering me a career contract which im trying to stay away from. My current mentor is with NYL, and a broker for Ohio National and Mass Mutual. Says that if he were to restart, it would be with ONL. So im looking at Ohio National right now. I'm looking for flexibility that NYL doesnt offer me. What would you guys do differently if you were to restart? Thanks guys!

Welcome to the forum!

As John Savage said "You can't unring a bell." Every experience you have adds to your overall collection of knowledge about this industry.

If I were to restart, I would realize that the company you are with is NOTHING. Good training with transferable skills is EVERYTHING. Once you have training... you can go anywhere and be as successful as you want.

What kind of flexibility are you looking for?

Hi guys. My name is Victor Tokarev. Graduated with a bachelors in accounting, did that for a year and decided to change my career path. Im currently an agent with New York Life but exploring options with different companies. I only have 4 months under my belt and it seems to be going well. Local Mass Mutual is trying to recruit me but im not sure if i want to do that. They are offering me a career contract which im trying to stay away from. My current mentor is with NYL, and a broker for Ohio National and Mass Mutual. Says that if he were to restart, it would be with ONL. So im looking at Ohio National right now. I'm looking for flexibility that NYL doesnt offer me. What would you guys do differently if you were to restart? Thanks guys!

I got my start at NYL. Stayed with them for almost 3 years. One GREAT thing about NYL is they build a SOLID foundation. The agents that can last over a year there seem to be able to transition to other places quite well and are prepared to do excellent.

A few years ago at an old IMO I was with, 3 of the top 5 FE agents each got their start at NYL. They teach you how to hunt on your own and survive in the wild by teaching you how to fish better than anyone else I have experienced.

Feel free to call me anytime...

I got my start at NYL. Stayed with them for almost 3 years. One GREAT thing about NYL is they build a SOLID foundation. The agents that can last over a year there seem to be able to transition to other places quite well and are prepared to do excellent.

A few years ago at an old IMO I was with, 3 of the top 5 FE agents each got their start at NYL. They teach you how to hunt on your own and survive in the wild by teaching you how to fish better than anyone else I have experienced.

Feel free to call me anytime...

Learning how to hunt and also farm were the greatest lessons I learned at the Mutual I started with.

Welcome to the forum!

As John Savage said "You can't unring a bell." Every experience you have adds to your overall collection of knowledge about this industry.

If I were to restart, I would realize that the company you are with is NOTHING. Good training with transferable skills is EVERYTHING. Once you have training... you can go anywhere and be as successful as you want.

Thank you,

By flexibility I mean, I dont like to be captive. Ideally i would like to sell other product which is best for my client and not just pitch NYL when in most cases its over priced. Im not going to wait to be 3 years in to be an established agent for the opportunity do it. I dont plan to bleed blue if its not in the best interest of my client. I have come up against competition like MassMutual and others where i couldn't do anything. They would rather do business with me but i couldnt make them stay.
As a NewOrg i can't call an examiner directly. I have set up a great relationship with a small office of examiners that i have been sending most of my business to, and now my office manager is on my case for it.
If i ever decide to leave the company in the near future, i leave all my clients behind. That doesn't sit well with me.
As you can probably tell by now, I got into the business to start my own business in all sense of the word. I like my freedom,some might say im a rebel or want to much but i see it like this. If i can get this flexibility elsewhere and do business the way i want to, I would rather go that route.
My friend that is 13 years in, is telling me to go with Ohio National as a broker. I have already met and spoke to MassMutual for a brokers contact. I'm still going strong with NYL as we speak but ready for something else.

Any input is welcome. Set me straight if you have to, but i would like to make the best choice with all the options on the table. Thank you so much for the support and advice!

Welcome to the forum!

I hate to be captive. I want flexibility in offering other product to my clients. I don't plan to bleed blue for the next three years when i can just go and work with another company. Early in the game i want to plan for the future. If i leave NYL i can't take my clients with me. How i understand it, with other companies you can.

NYL and Northwestern Mutual are the most "captive" of the captive agencies.

Ohio National is a good company with a great product line.

If you need training, my favorite resource is the Insurance Pro Shop. Check out their member's only site for only $25/month. Watch their videos and you can buy their systems later on.

If you need training, my favorite resource is the Insurance Pro Shop. Check out their member's only site for only $25/month. Watch their videos and you can buy their systems later on.

I spoke with Robert Wade from Ohio National today. Was offered the PGA contract at level 5 based on my current production. He also gave me a website Effortless.com to get separate E+O insurance. He was very helpful. I just wanted to know what would be the pros and cons of going off on my own of going under my friend with ON?

Thank you!
My next question is, Should I take the series 6 now while I'm with NYL or take it when I'm with Ohio National?

I spoke with Robert Wade from Ohio National today. Was offered the PGA contract at level 5 based on my current production. He also gave me a website Effortless.com to get separate E+O insurance. He was very helpful. I just wanted to know what would be the pros and cons of going off on my own or going under my friend thats in Cali with ON? He's at level 8 and said he would split commissions in my favor so he gets >100% and I get more also.

Second question is, should I take the series 6 while im with NYL or when I join Ohio?

Personal pipeline is full, i can make the switch any day now.

Thanks for the help guys!

Back