New to Insurance - In Need of Some Advice.

stagg313

So I made the jump in industries to Insurance, I was offered 2 jobs.

Now typically I am pretty good at screening job offers, I go home and read experiences of past people. But this time I wasn't.

I had an offer from Banker's Casualty (which I did read about and avoided the company) and I also had one from AFLAC which I accepted. (Mostly because they paid for my class).

Now I have been reading on this forum and else where that AFLAC isn't a company to make a great living off of. The market penetration where i live seems extremely high, well above what I was told. 3% of businesses. It's either I am really good at finding those 3% of businesses or it's higher than 3%. :/

SO I can see I was a bit decieved. 2 weeks in and I have gotten no formal training, I have had 2 or 3 small little talks with my DSC but nothing really to helpful.

As well I went on an enrollment with another agent, and sorry but she was terrible. She couldn't close a guy on 20$ a month and she talked herself in a huge circle.

Now my question is, being new to insurance (but not to sales) is AFLAC where I should keep going down the road, or should I just go to another company.

I still would love to sell AFLAC though, they have decent products. SO what Life/Annuities/Health company can I go to that's not captive? (I really would love a chance to sell life and annuities)

Voluntary products, whether it's Aflac or Colonial or whatever, can be a good place to start. You are able to get your feet wet with products that are relatively simple to explain.

The sale to the business owner is the key to unlocking that door. I started in supplemental and still do quite a bit of it, but was never great at landing business owners. However, I am very good at the individual/direct side.

With business owners, most new agents start trying to slay dragons (Walmart, etc.), but the key is the small business owner. I tend to make a lot more on the sale to the employer with 5 EEs than to larger employers, then I try to leverage those sales into referrals.

Five years in, I have branched out into health insurance and Medicare to expand my book. But there are many agents who excel in the supplemental market. You just need to find a niche for you that works. That could be auto shops, construction, whatever. As your career progresses you will find your sweet spot.

That's what my DSC said, and I've been going after 10-20 man groups.

My experience is all on the consumer side which is why I took the position for AFLAC. I want to learn B2B.

But I'm not learning B2B is what I'm experiencing, I am learning; let's just go into businesses and see if I get lucky. I have had no real training or good job shadowing expierience so far. :/

If your DSC isn't training you, see if there is another agent you can partner with on a case or two. I've partnered a few times over the years and it's worked out.

The other thing to remember is to keep it simple. Ask the owner, "would you like a way to offer benefits at no cost to you? In fact, it may even save you money? Give me ten minutes of your time to see if COMPANY is the right fit."

Keep the meeting to no more than 10 minutes. If it starts to go over because you're getting a lot of questions, break in and say, "I'd love to keep this conversation going, but I have exceeded my 10 minute mark and I don't want to keep you. Are you good with continuing? Or can we schedule a more convenient time?"

And most of all, you've seen how over-talking can be an issue, so simple, straight forward statements and answers.

That's what my DSC said, and I've been going after 10-20 man groups.

My experience is all on the consumer side which is why I took the position for AFLAC. I want to learn B2B.

But I'm not learning B2B is what I'm experiencing, I am learning; let's just go into businesses and see if I get lucky. I have had no real training or good job shadowing expierience so far. :/

You should contact smokin goose on the Forum. He did the B2B with Combined and they have training pay for a period of time.

Insurance Forum - View Profile: smokin goose

Back