State Farm Candidate Here

TomCat1971

Hello group, I'm into the recruitment process with SF and would like to hear from some agents that have recently gone through this and have some experience and/or advice for someone new to the industry.

I am currently a professional in mfg making excellent money but want to run my own business. Would you go this route again? IF not what would you do?

Thanks for you time.

Hello group, I'm into the recruitment process with SF and would like to hear from some agents that have recently gone through this and have some experience and/or advice for someone new to the industry.

I am currently a professional in mfg making excellent money but want to run my own business. Would you go this route again? IF not what would you do?

Thanks for you time.

Been there, done that. I was a State Farm agent.
There are a LOT of postings about experiences here. Here are a few things to consider:

1. You don't own your business no matter what they say
2. They control every aspect of your business. You cannot run it your way
3. If you have $50,000 in cash/credit available, you are at least $200,000 too short. No kidding.
4. Commissions are very low. 20% as-earned on 10/20/30 year term. 30% as-earned on fixed UL.
5. Scorecard is a joke. You will be broke / running in the red for 12-15 months. This is their justification for low commissions.
6. You will be under duress to bundle and sell products that you may not want to sell.
7. I sure hope you like to solicit credit cards and auto loans.
8. Under the AA05 contract, you can never "rest" or retire. It's not like the old contract.
9. AIPP is used to justify the fact that you cannot sell your business.
10. If you walk away (like I did), you walk away with NOTHING.
11. You will make more money as a State Farm Team Member, with LESS stress.

Bottom line: DON'T DO IT.

Not being negative, I just have experience. I was a successful agent... I traveled, got my permanent contract, won awards, etc... If you are in the MONEY business, you need to be making MONEY. You will not in SF.

LOTS of other options. Ask around on this board. LOTS of great experience here. You have options. Doesn't HAVE to be INDY, but I think being an employee of a captive firm for a little while may be good experience.

Back