Iowa 2015 Exchange

timsip

Guru
1000 Post Club
From what I can tell, the players will be the same as 2014. I haven't heard a definite answer from Golden Rule, but from official releases by Wellmark and Assurant, they are not playing in 2015. According to the official release, Wellmark has decided to stay out due to continued issues with the technology of the exchanges. CoOpportunity Health CEO has called BS on that because according to him "Now that the website has been totally fixed and no one is having trouble signing up ... that is not why they are doing this," Gold said. "They have denied consistently that what they are trying to do is push bad risk into the exchanges, but that rings pretty hollow right now."-Des Moines Register

I would agree with Mr. Gold's assessment of Wellmark pushing their higher risk to the exchange, but that was the entire intent of the exchange in the first place, so I can't fault Wellmark. On the other end of his statement, I can't see how someone of his position in the insurance industry is willing to go on record of saying "Now that the website has been totally fixed and no one is having trouble signing up". We all know that not only are people still having problems, but insurers are still not receiving the proper information or payment. To Wellmark's credit on that point, I don't blame them for staying as far away as possible.

What is more interesting is the rate increases requested by Wellmark.

Wellmark’s requested rate increases for Iowa include:

Individual Under 65 plans (Pre ACA plans)
130,000 (members)
5.9% or less

Individual Under 65 – ACA plans
19,000 (members)
11.9-14.5%

Back