Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE


Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Life Insurance Forum

Reply to $1M of Term on 8 Month Old     
Old 07-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #11
Super Genius
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts:102
State: Tothetop is an Insurance Agent from New York
$1M of Term on 8 Month Old Re: $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
This is why I am an insurance agent and not an English major.

Let me correct that and put it in context as that is too much of a blanket statemnt.

Term insurance policy on an 8 month old child is prohibited. Carriers that would offer coverage would offer a permanent policy first before we even discuss how much.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Old 07-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
Guru
YouGotMyMoney on $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts:4,930
State: YouGotMyMoney is an Insurance Agent from Florida
YouGotMyMoney is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
$1M of Term on 8 Month Old Re: $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
New agent AND their prospect is Indian AND they "want" $1 mill on a newborn?


https://www.youtube.com/embed/kdr_GiWXRws

------------------------------------
Yeah * Yeah * Call Me Steve-O
  Reply With Quote to $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Old 07-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #13
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts:1,390
State: Robert Barney is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Robert Barney is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
$1M of Term on 8 Month Old Re: $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Originally Posted by LGilmore View Post
Usually a policy on a child has to be within a certain range comparable to the parents coverage. It is unlikely any company would write a million on a child if the parents have say 250k, unless there is a special exception (entertainment for example) that would create a need for more coverage.
Check your underwriting guidelines.
In my second year of selling life insurance (1980) I sold one millions dollars on a child that was less than a year old.

Need I point out, that adjusted to inflation, the 1 million would be more like 3 million today (wild guess).

Larry is correct, there needs to be a financial basis for the coverage, and in the case I was selling there was.

Normally I would not recommend insuring a child, and that policy was the only one I remember selling. I should also point out that I find it revolting when children have policies when their parents are carrying too little coverage.
------------------------------------

Last edited by Robert Barney; 07-24-2017 at 06:54 PM.
  Reply With Quote to $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Old 07-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #14
Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts:1,033
State: pfg1 is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
pfg1 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
$1M of Term on 8 Month Old Re: $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
The issue I have with this question is that its asking about "term". There is no need to write term on a child, unless something is wrong with the child. Perm, absolutely and $1m is not a stretch at all, assuming all the other factors line up. Many wealthy families write large perm cases on their young children.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Old 07-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #15
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts:1,390
State: Robert Barney is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Robert Barney is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
$1M of Term on 8 Month Old Re: $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Originally Posted by pfg1 View Post
The issue I have with this question is that its asking about "term". There is no need to write term on a child, unless something is wrong with the child. Perm, absolutely and $1m is not a stretch at all, assuming all the other factors line up. Many wealthy families write large perm cases on their young children.
I agree.

My view is term is for problems that are temporary and eventually go away. You insure the income of a breadwinner using term, because eventually a breadwinner will stop earning income (aka retirement).

Permanent is for insurance needs that never go away. The most obvious need is for estate planning, to make sure cash gets into the hands of an estate at the moment of the insured's death, to take care of some financial issue in the estate. That was the situation that gave rise to the $1m I sold on a child (infant) and that was an exception to the rule situation.

Having said that, Pruco no lapse UL for about $1,500 per year for $1m is almost term-like pricing. An 18 year old, in the best of health, would pay $490 per year for 30 year term, and that's cooked when they turn 58.

But so far I have not heard the purpose of this insurance, and if the reason for it can't be justified to the company, the likelihood of getting it issued would be in doubt.

On another note, if there was $5m on the father and mother, $1m on the child could make sense just from an insurability perspective. Need to hear more about the case.
------------------------------------

Last edited by Robert Barney; 07-25-2017 at 12:09 PM.
  Reply With Quote to $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Old 07-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #16
Guru
rousemark on $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts:12,871
State: rousemark is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
rousemark is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
$1M of Term on 8 Month Old Re: $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Originally Posted by pfg1 View Post
The issue I have with this question is that its asking about "term". There is no need to write term on a child, unless something is wrong with the child. Perm, absolutely and $1m is not a stretch at all, assuming all the other factors line up. Many wealthy families write large perm cases on their young children.
Perhaps they want term is because they have bought into the Ramsey/Orman garbage that permanent insurance is always bad.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Old 07-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #17
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts:1,390
State: Robert Barney is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Robert Barney is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
$1M of Term on 8 Month Old Re: $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Originally Posted by Tothetop View Post
Term insurance policy on an 8 month old child is prohibited. Carriers that would offer coverage would offer a permanent policy first before we even discuss how much.
I doubt that it is prohibited.

When Genworth was still writing term, they offered it.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Old 07-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #18
Super Genius
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts:102
State: Tothetop is an Insurance Agent from New York
$1M of Term on 8 Month Old Re: $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Term insurance on children? Yes. Not children riders. I'm talking individual term policies on children.

----------

Companies do the "under age 4 1/2, the parents must have 4 times as much insurance as applied for on the child rule."

And if I'm not mistaken, I think both are a NY state DOI rule not the insurance company.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Old 07-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #19
Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts:6,393
State: scagnt83 is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
scagnt83 is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
$1M of Term on 8 Month Old Re: $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
If its Convertible Term, then it could make sense to put it on a child. Especially if there are financial constraints keeping them from getting the Permanent Policy now. If there is a true need, then Convertible Term would be suitable imo. But if its not convertible, or its only convertible for a short period, then I cant see it being suitable.

I know that some carriers will not write Term on a child. I think some still do. I can't tell you which ones though.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Old 07-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #20
Guru
VolAgent on $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts:12,987
State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
$1M of Term on 8 Month Old Re: $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Originally Posted by Robert Barney View Post
I agree.

My view is term is for problems that are temporary and eventually go away. You insure the income of a breadwinner using term, because eventually a breadwinner will stop earning income (aka retirement).

Permanent is for insurance needs that never go away. The most obvious need is for estate planning, to make sure cash gets into the hands of an estate at the moment of the insured's death, to take care of some financial issue in the estate. That was the situation that gave rise to the $1m I sold on a child (infant) and that was an exception to the rule situation.

Having said that, Pruco no lapse UL for about $1,500 per year for $1m is almost term-like pricing. An 18 year old, in the best of health, would pay $490 per year for 30 year term, and that's cooked when they turn 58.

But so far I have not heard the purpose of this insurance, and if the reason for it can't be justified to the company, the likelihood of getting it issued would be in doubt.

On another note, if there was $5m on the father and mother, $1m on the child could make sense just from an insurability perspective. Need to hear more about the case.
Would the real Bob Barney please stand up?

Wow, that was very well stated and reasoning I completely agree with.

At the risk of stereotyping, they are Indian and it is their first born son. But without seeing a multi-million dollar policies on the parents, I would run away from this.

------------------------------------
You can pay the premium or you can own the loss.
  Reply With Quote to $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Reply to $1M of Term on 8 Month Old 

  Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Life Insurance Forum




Similar Threads with $1M of Term on 8 Month Old
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whatever Happened to ROP Term?? Mark General Insurance Agent Discussions 88 07-05-2016 05:57 AM
I Need a Term Life Quote Engine for my NAAIP Website larrycohen Life Insurance Forum 2158 04-11-2016 12:07 PM
Long Term Care Insurance Rate Increase Arthur Rudnick Long Term Care Insurance Forum 0 04-18-2014 03:30 PM
Decreasing Term DiegoInsGuy Life Insurance Forum 16 05-18-2012 10:48 AM
"Healthcare Reform" is different from "Long Term Care reform" Mr_Ed Long Term Care Insurance Forum 0 11-18-2008 11:39 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Forum enabled with vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Join the Forum - It's FREE

Share This Page



Weekly Poll

Where do we go from here? POLL
Nothing - No ACA fixes - status quo
29.82 %
HHS Rulings and band aid bills
17.54 %
Hail Mary repeal and/or replace bill
17.54 %
A bipartisan bill to fix ACA
35.09 %

Voters: 57. This poll is closed