65 Female Breast Cancer

JimmyUt

Guru
1000 Post Club
Utah
I have a 65 year old female who is on a term plan now (100k, $185 monthly) that she is renewing annually because of her health history, even though the initial term is up. She has NO conversion rights. She had breast cancer in both 2000 and 2007 with it metastisizing the 2nd time and her losing half her lung. I have been told by the underwriter at Pinney that her chances are slim and none in getting term coverage which is what she wants. I can sell her simplified issue whole life and get her around 50k for a similar premium, but I thought I would throw it out there and get your thoughts? She takes zero medication.

buying term got her where she is today with a policy that will increase in cost every year, I would have her show you the policy and then you can point out how the cost is going to keep increasing with the term, but will never increase with the whole life..

I have a 65 year old female who is on a term plan now (100k, $185 monthly) that she is renewing annually because of her health history, even though the initial term is up. She has NO conversion rights. She had breast cancer in both 2000 and 2007 with it metastisizing the 2nd time and her losing half her lung. I have been told by the underwriter at Pinney that her chances are slim and none in getting term coverage which is what she wants. I can sell her simplified issue whole life and get her around 50k for a similar premium, but I thought I would throw it out there and get your thoughts? She takes zero medication.

Metastases is making the whole issue messier than that is recurred. Most carriers will gladly take GI/FE. If she can grab the $50K without a flat extra (I'm guessing she was at least stage T1bN1M0) take it and run.

Maybe you can comment on this but I have seen a number of carriers getting tougher with breast cancer in general over the last few years...thoughts?

The mortality coming out lately has scared the crap out of everyone. LCIS/LDIS most carriers will take their chances. Even stage T1a/T1b you'll still find some appetite. But once you hit T1c or higher or get any metastases the front line carriers don't even want to talk to you for 10-15, then until 20 years you're likely getting a flat extra. Thereafter, likely a permanent rating designed to put you in no better than a table 2 or 3.

The science is also emerging on family history. Colon and breast/ovarian cancers diagnosed before 60, especially dying before then...cross your fingers in the coming years.

Back