67 Year Old Diabetic

Bwell86

Expert
I have a 67 year old who wants a 100K GUL policy, but he is diabetic due to exposure of agent orange. He does not take insulin or pills. It is all managed by diet. He is healthy other than this.

Pru says diabetes at his age is an automatic table B rating. I can go outside Pru, but I'm not sure where to start.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We're trying to stay under $4K/year.

I have a 67 year old who wants a 100K GUL policy, but he is diabetic due to exposure of agent orange. He does not take insulin or pills. It is all managed by diet. He is healthy other than this.

Pru says diabetes at his age is an automatic table B rating. I can go outside Pru, but I'm not sure where to start.

Check the table shave requirements with LFG and Principle. That may be a good place. I get good results on well controlled DM with Protective and Banner also.

As always a full DM questionnaire to shop it.

What are his other issues? Save your self some time and check with the VA on which APS form they require.

Last edited:

Based upon what you shared, other companies would probably make a better offer than prudential.

You really need to get a detailed diabetic questionnaire, and submit it with an imo who can shop this case

I'd second what Wino said. Table shave is the way to go. If that really is all there is going on, he is a prime candidate to be table shaved back to standard.

Also, the VA is a blackhole for medical records. They go in, but they do not come out, at least not easily. Unless you happen to have a very proactive case manager, you will have to chase down the releases needed from the VA and stay after them along with having him call as well.

Also, if that 4k limit is a hard one, I'd really sit down with him and have a "Come to Jesus" meeting. Make sure you have all his health history. All it takes is one impairment to push it past table 3, which is the maximum for table shave, and you are well over 4k a year. Considering we are talking the VA, you would be well advised to speak with an underwriter and give them as much as you can in advance. No need to gloss over something, spend 3 months chasing records and have it come back Table 6 for something you could have told the underwriter about today.

It will also depend on the A1C level when taking a blood draw... If the level is low, it will show the underwriter how well diet alone is working and this could easily be a Standard Risk.

We still know too little to give you a good estimate.... Your biggest hurdle will be an APS from the VA in a timely manner. Hopefully, your client has a non-VA doctor that he has been seeing regularly for the past 5 years. That would provide a quick APS that would satisfy the underwriters on the Diabetes.

There will still be the issue of Agent Orange Exposure and other complications that would probably be only kept at the VA.

My guess is that most insurers will want both APS's. VA and Current Doctor in order to give you an offer.

Back