8 Ways People Blow Their Life Insurance Medical Exams

11. Passing out on the paramedic as they are trying to draw blood.

A few nits to pick...

Your fasting triglycerides have to be north of 400-450 to get a modest rating with most carriers. Unless you're metabolic, diabetic, or just a glutton that takes some doing. Don't get me wrong, fasting's the better but more often than not the people rated for trigs are the ones who are constantly walked around at 700+.

Protein in the urine is more common that you might think; and it scares the crap out of us. Mostly because it can point to all manner of kidney issues IF it means something (if the level's high enough, there microalbumin or blood in it, etc). Or it could be nothing... guess wrong and you'll either anger the agent or your boss.

A few nits to pick...

Your fasting triglycerides have to be north of 400-450 to get a modest rating with most carriers. Unless you're metabolic, diabetic, or just a glutton that takes some doing. Don't get me wrong, fasting's the better but more often than not the people rated for trigs are the ones who are constantly walked around at 700+.

Protein in the urine is more common that you might think; and it scares the crap out of us. Mostly because it can point to all manner of kidney issues IF it means something (if the level's high enough, there microalbumin or blood in it, etc). Or it could be nothing... guess wrong and you'll either anger the agent or your boss.

I know all about those elevated kidney functions with people who go to the gym just before their exam. I have also seen elevated liver functions after strenuous exercise as well.

Some of the crazier things I’ve had to deal with also include:
1. A fellow doing cocaine the night before his exam. Not only did it kill the deal for life insurance, but because he couldn’t get the life insurance, he lost out on the bank loan the life insurance was supposed to cover.

2. A fellow with a rising PSA issue engaging in, let us say, an active night with his wife the night before his morning exam. This is actually the explanation I had to give to the underwriter to explain his PSA level on the lab result.

I know all about those elevated kidney functions with people who go to the gym just before their exam. I have also seen elevated liver functions after strenuous exercise as well.

Some of the crazier things I’ve had to deal with also include:
1. A fellow doing cocaine the night before his exam. Not only did it kill the deal for life insurance, but because he couldn’t get the life insurance, he lost out on the bank loan the life insurance was supposed to cover.

2. A fellow with a rising PSA issue engaging in, let us say, an active night with his wife the night before his morning exam. This is actually the explanation I had to give to the underwriter to explain his PSA level on the lab result.

BUN and creatinine have a good deal of built in "play" with most carriers. And most are willing to listen unless something is REALLY crazy.

We also love and hate declines for the Bogota Booger Sugar. At first we can't tell you why but once you find out there's ALWAYS a story. Usually along the lines of... "He was at a party and FELL INTO A TABLE WITH COCAINE ON IT!! IT'S NOT HIS FAULT!!"

BUN and creatinine have a good deal of built in "play" with most carriers. And most are willing to listen unless something is REALLY crazy.

We also love and hate declines for the Bogota Booger Sugar. At first we can't tell you why but once you find out there's ALWAYS a story. Usually along the lines of... "He was at a party and FELL INTO A TABLE WITH COCAINE ON IT!! IT'S NOT HIS FAULT!!"

I have come across a number of people who have taken the same fall onto the same table :) Another common explanation has been “went to a bachelor party.” For some reason, people think that they can do anything at a bachelor party, and that what happened at the bachelor party stays at the bachelor party. If only there biochemistry agreed.

Taking the exam while having a bad cold or the flu has messed up the lab work for a few of my clients, especially if they have diabetes.

Back