Advice Please

unic.consulting

Guru
100+ Post Club
I'm fairly new to the insurance industry, so I don't know if there's anything I'm missing that will help this situation:

70/M Client (recent hospitalization for CAD, stent in 2002) came to me to review his policies - He has a WL $127k w/ a $57k loan. The dividends are paying off the loan interest - barely. He has some debts with family friends that he accrued during the internet bubble burst, and would like to let them be beneficiaries on the policy. The $70k available will more than pay them off, so as far as that is concerned, he should be set.

Now for the downside - he also has two UL policies from the mid- and late- 90s. First is a $500k that he was minimally funding $260.90 for P20. He can't afford the payment now, so he has let it lapse. Second is a $250k that he is paying $600/quarter. Slightly above minimum. It is set to lapse in 3 years at the current rate of funding.

My question is should he stop paying the $250k policy and use the premiums to pay off the loan on his WL faster, get a new policy that isn't about to fall off the cliff, or am I missing something with the UL that will rescue it?

I'm fairly new to the insurance industry, so I don't know if there's anything I'm missing that will help this situation:

70/M Client (recent hospitalization for CAD, stent in 2002) came to me to review his policies - He has a WL $127k w/ a $57k loan. The dividends are paying off the loan interest - barely. He has some debts with family friends that he accrued during the internet bubble burst, and would like to let them be beneficiaries on the policy. The $70k available will more than pay them off, so as far as that is concerned, he should be set.

Now for the downside - he also has two UL policies from the mid- and late- 90s. First is a $500k that he was minimally funding $260.90 for P20. He can't afford the payment now, so he has let it lapse. Second is a $250k that he is paying $600/quarter. Slightly above minimum. It is set to lapse in 3 years at the current rate of funding.

My question is should he stop paying the $250k policy and use the premiums to pay off the loan on his WL faster, get a new policy that isn't about to fall off the cliff, or am I missing something with the UL that will rescue it?

Couple quick questions to add to the mix. Life expectancy. How much would the $600 QUOTE buy him and for how long. Can the the $250k be reduced with a premium adjustment to carry to mortality.

Lee

Couple quick questions to add to the mix. Life expectancy. How much would the $600 QUOTE buy him and for how long. Can the the $250k be reduced with a premium adjustment to carry to mortality.

Lee

Life expectancy seems to be about 9-10 years. What insurance companies would you recommend?

I'm fairly new to the insurance industry, so I don't know if there's anything I'm missing that will help this situation: 70/M Client (recent hospitalization for CAD, stent in 2002) came to me to review his policies - He has a WL $127k w/ a $57k loan. The dividends are paying off the loan interest - barely. He has some debts with family friends that he accrued during the internet bubble burst, and would like to let them be beneficiaries on the policy. The $70k available will more than pay them off, so as far as that is concerned, he should be set. Now for the downside - he also has two UL policies from the mid- and late- 90s. First is a $500k that he was minimally funding $260.90 for P20. He can't afford the payment now, so he has let it lapse. Second is a $250k that he is paying $600/quarter. Slightly above minimum. It is set to lapse in 3 years at the current rate of funding. My question is should he stop paying the $250k policy and use the premiums to pay off the loan on his WL faster, get a new policy that isn't about to fall off the cliff, or am I missing something with the UL that will rescue it?

Reducing the coverage amount of the ULs should help him.

Life expectancy seems to be about 9-10 years. What insurance companies would you recommend?

Personally I would start with inforce illustrations. If for no other reason to CYA.

1) Show face amount to keep the premium at $600/Q to run 10 and 15 years. I would ask they run it at mid point.

Did the $500 UL already lapse with no surrender value? If not maybe roll any values, or other funds, into the smaller one to increase face or time.

Edit: another option is increase the premium also.

Lee

Last edited:
Personally I would start with inforce illustrations. If for no other reason to CYA.

1) Show face amount to keep the premium at $600/Q to run 10 and 15 years. I would ask they run it at mid point.

Did the $500 UL already lapse with no surrender value? If not maybe roll any values, or other funds, into the smaller one to increase face or time.

Edit: another option is increase the premium also.

Lee

Neither one has any current surrender value. The $500 lapsed at the beginning of this year.

Neither one has any current surrender value. The $500 lapsed at the beginning of this year.

Depending on the facts of his medical Hx for the last couple years FE may be his only hope outside of what I suggested with the UL. One of the FE could help. Unless he has more premium dollars he can spend.

I would suggest comparing the reduced UL to what loan reduction at $2,400. a year will do. BTW, Unless there is a life sale here you are working for free. His old agent should be doing this.

Depending on the facts of his medical Hx for the last couple years FE may be his only hope outside of what I suggested with the UL. One of the FE could help. Unless he has more premium dollars he can spend.

I would suggest comparing the reduced UL to what loan reduction at $2,400. a year will do. BTW, Unless there is a life sale here you are working for free. His old agent should be doing this.

I'm actually doing his health insurance, and he asked me if I could review his life insurance for a consultation fee, so I'm all set on that. :) Mostly, I'm looking at this as a referral opportunity.

Back