Agents. What Was that Moment It Hit You?

Cornelius

Guru
1000 Post Club
In another post I mentioned a childhood friend who is going through a major health issue. It started as a heart problem and escalated to a partial leg amputation, bleeding around the brain and kidneys shutting down.

That's when it hit about the overall potential of living benefits and the need to have some legal documents in place. It's just nuts how something that may not have seen like a big issue just explode the way it did.

As some may know I'm a big Art Williams fan and heard about his crusade but it never really sank in well now I understand where he was coming from. Many people need life insurance and other documentation.

I know some stories have been shared but can agents who have had the oh snap moment that made them see the importance of life insurance beyond the premiums and commissions. I mean when it really hit home such as delivering a death benefit or a not taken which left someone to struggle.

I was involved in a motorcycle wreck. It was my fault, I hit the back of a car. Luckily I've been riding long enough to realize I was going to hit the back and angle in bike in such a way where I caught the edge and went over the side, not into the rear window.

It was low speed enough that the fall was not that bad. I had on proper gear head to toe (and every nurse and doctor thanked me for wearing a helmet). However I went into shock. My blood pressure dropped badly and I ended up in the hospital overnight because they thought I was having a heart attack.

It was not me that I worried about but my long time girlfriend (15 years). Her kid (who recently lost her biological father - fully covered thank God) and my parents. That's when it hit me.

My "wife" and I always talked about a will and such...but didn't have one. Technically she was not allowed to see me but simply said "I'm his wife.", etc.

Stuff happens to quickly. It's best to be ready when the sticky stuff hits the fan.

I read a book about how to talk to your parents about end of life issues. My wife and I had just went through settling her folks estate with no knowledge of where anything was at or what should be done. I had adequate life insurance but I decided I wasn't going to put my kids through what we had just been through. My wife and I went out and had a Will, Living Will, Durable Power of Attorney, and Advanced Medical Directive made for each other and we gave all three of our kids copies of the documents.

P.S.
If you have not done it you should have those made for yourself and share them with adult children.

In December 2016 a dear friend asked me about life ins for her God son, age 30. He had just been diagnosed with stage 4 Melanoma, metastasized to the spine and lungs. He has 2 young sons. Neither he or she understood that he was uninsurable.

He is near death at this moment. She is taking out coverage on herself, naming his children as her bene's as a death bed wish for him.

Definitely an ah ha moment and one that makes me wish to add more coverage to myself and my son.

If only people could 'feel' the urgency before it becomes urgent.

Last edited:
Best friend kept talking about getting Life and DI coverage "sometime when the time was right". Was married at the time and has 1 kid. Obviously I always told him to just "let me know". I even brought it up casually once or twice after some time had gone by, but never pushed.

Early that December, he randomly mentioned he wants to go ahead with the coverage. BUT he wanted to wait until after Christmas since he was tight on cash.

Two days into the new year he had a seizure. Stage 3 brain cancer.
He went from having 2 jobs, to having no jobs and no income.

He now finally would qualify for a $50k GI policy. Which is absolutely nothing when you have a child.
He could have locked-in at least $2k per month in DI coverage... now he lives off of $600/m in SS benefits.

This stuff is important. It literally changes peoples lives like nothing else in that moment ever could. Its not just money, its the ability to continue enjoying life.

A client of mine got MS and went from $350K to just SS and the $5K per month DI policy I sold him. Under insured, yes. But he only wanted $2k per month when I met him and struggled to convince him to get more.

As an industry observer, I think this thread is incredibly important. Agents can suffer enough rejection that it's possible to begin questioning the value of the product and the agent role -- but both are major.

The negative feelings come from old-fashioned resentment of old-fashioned sell and close techniques. There is definitely a higher road.

Many potential clients would feel good about having a well thought out plan that includes the coverage that is needed without gaps or overlaps and ongoing, careful preparation for the future -- both planned and (as these stories tell) unplanned and potentially tragic.

So it seems that this thread answers the oft-asked question, "How do I get in front of a prospect to tell the story?" You are offering sincerely client focused expertise that addresses some of life's most important issues. You can state confidently that hearing your story is a far better use of 15 minutes (or a few more) than possibly saving 15% or more on car insurance.

Last edited:
Here's an update. I got word my friend has passed. Three weeks ago he just felt funny and here we are today. As his profession or calling was a school teacher he leaves a vast legacy that will go on for generations. This year he just turned 50 and last year became a proud grandfather.

To see it all in span of about three weeks of our potential cycle of bringing a somewhat peace of mind to a family in their time of need. In every instance
I have been privy to at an end stage of life the person always had a concern
for the well being of the loved ones they are leaving behind.

Keep the stories coming. At some point we all need some motivation...

Any time we sell someone who has no insurance an insurance policy we leave them better than we found them.

Back