Agla fires all agents

rousemark

Still Here!
5000 Post Club
Niota, TN
Just got a call from a former AGLA district manager whose wife was still with them. They had a conference call this morning and terminated all the career sales agents. Security guards then showed up and all the agents had to turn in their computers and supplies and leave the office. They closed all the offices..It is my understanding this was nationwide.

Just got a call from a former AGLA district manager whose wife was still with them. They had a conference call this morning and terminated all the career sales agents. Security guards then showed up and all the agents had to turn in their computers and supplies and leave the office. They closed all the offices..It is my understanding this was nationwide.

I thought they were too big to fail?

how many offices and agents did they have?

Don't know how many offices but AGLA had around 5000 career sales agents. Don't know how many service agents but the rumor is they are gone in April...They have been consolidating offices for some time. They closed some offices in North GA, east and Middle TN and brought them into the Knoxville TN office a year or two ago. Today, they closed the Knoxville office. They also did away with their pension plan January 1.. The agents were W-2 so I assume they can file for unemployment.

So much for companies with philosophies like that of National Life and Accident (now part of AGLA) When I started in 1971 they took great pride in saying they had never laid an employee off, not even a secretary or janitor in the history of the company and that included during the Great Depression.

Assuming these are career agents, I suspect off-site records would be a violation of their contract with the company.

That is correct... And, one reason it happens with no prior notice. Keeps the agents from printing out a couple of their client list on the way out the door.

Back