American General

suzys

Expert
Could someone please list the pros and cons of working with American General. The manager seems good etc. Thank you for helping!!:)

Could someone please list the pros and cons of working with American General. The manager seems good etc. Thank you for helping!!:)

Are you interviewing for the Career Sales Division or Career Service Division? What was until recently known as AGLA?

I was with them about 5 years back in '91 but I gather they've changed a bit since then. When I got back into 'shorance I had a rough start as independent so I got a wild hair and talked to one of their local DM's. He asked if I had 100 people (friends and relatives) I could sell to starting out. I said 'no' and added that if I knew 100 people I could go see I damn sure wouldn't be sitting here.

I guess I was too old to be going back to captive.

I was with them about 5 years back in '91 but I gather they've changed a bit since then. When I got back into 'shorance I had a rough start as independent so I got a wild hair and talked to one of their local DM's. He asked if I had 100 people (friends and relatives) I could sell to starting out. I said 'no' and added that if I knew 100 people I could go see I damn sure wouldn't be sitting here.

I guess I was too old to be going back to captive.

LOL! I think most of us can relate. :)

I worked for American General (AGLA) as a Career Sales Agent so I can comment on this. Ultimately, it depends on your particular office. Here's what I experienced.

*Set salary for a set period of time (13 weeks if you're experienced, 17 weeks if you're inexperienced) to help get your feet wet and learn the business. You have to validate your contract (or meet a certain sales quota) to continue with AGLA after this time. After that time, it's 100% commission. If your policy does not get issued, you don't get paid. Also, you can get hit with chargebacks.

*No quality leads - they want you to work your natural market, and hopefully get some referrals from them. They also give you a book of business to work from. From my experience from working my book, the turnover is so high they often commented on seeing multiple agents within the past few years. In all honesty, a lot of these "leads" are tired of agents calling them offering to come out and "review their policies"

*Quality products that are competitively priced. Their signature product is Life Insurance with Living Benefits

*The training and support is decent not only from your upline but also from veteran agents. There was a strong camraderie in my office and we helped each other out.

*Good company to start out with to learn the business. You are captive so you can only sell American General products. Unless you go the Special Rep route and are independent.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message.

I worked for American General (AGLA) as a Career Sales Agent so I can comment on this. Ultimately, it depends on your particular office. Here's what I experienced.

*Set salary for a set period of time (13 weeks if you're experienced, 17 weeks if you're inexperienced) to help get your feet wet and learn the business. You have to validate your contract (or meet a certain sales quota) to continue with AGLA after this time. After that time, it's 100% commission. If your policy does not get issued, you don't get paid. Also, you can get hit with chargebacks.

*No quality leads - they want you to work your natural market, and hopefully get some referrals from them. They also give you a book of business to work from. From my experience from working my book, the turnover is so high they often commented on seeing multiple agents within the past few years. In all honesty, a lot of these "leads" are tired of agents calling them offering to come out and "review their policies"

*Quality products that are competitively priced. Their signature product is Life Insurance with Living Benefits

*The training and support is decent not only from your upline but also from veteran agents. There was a strong camraderie in my office and we helped each other out.

*Good company to start out with to learn the business. You are captive so you can only sell American General products. Unless you go the Special Rep route and are independent.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message.

AIG now has a brokerage arrangement where the career sales agents can sell products through other companies. Of course the AIG and management get the majority of the commission so there is not a lot left by the time it tickles down to the writing agent.

AIG now has a brokerage arrangement where the career sales agents can sell products through other companies. Of course the AIG and management get the majority of the commission so there is not a lot left by the time it tickles down to the writing agent.

That's pretty awesome. I left there in 2012. When did this start?

I think in the past year... I finally let my Special Rep contract go so I don't try to keep up with them any more.

You Speak in Forked Tounge Kemosabe...,....:D

Always wanted to say that....

American General Life Insurance (Not Am Gen Life & Accident Ins Co/same products though) has been available from AIG through IMO Channels for years (Term, UL, GUL, IUL, Health, Annuity) .....

We have been offering their product line since 2010..... Always a top 5 company for competitive term rates and has a great sales option over the phone with "AG Quick Ticket"..

Last edited:
You Speak in Forked Tounge Kemosabe...,....:D

Always wanted to say that....

American General Life Insurance (Not Am Gen Life & Accident Ins Co/same products though) has been available from AIG through IMO Channels for years (Term, UL, GUL, IUL, Health, Annuity) .....

We have been offering their product line since 2010..... Always a top 5 company for competitive term rates and has a great sales option over the phone with "AG Quick Ticket"..

Not sure what I am being accused of lying about. Since I let my Special Rep contract go, I don't try to keep up with them. But I still have friends that are with therm on the captive side and they will mention what is happening with the company.

What we were talking about is captive AIG ( formally AGLA) agents being able to place business with non AIG companies not Independents being able to write AG through an IMO. That is a failry new development. They re also pushing the captive people to get their securities license. They are using SagePoint for their B/D.

Since they have merged the life companies under the AIG Life and Retirement umbrella, it is difficult to know who is who when people talk about AIG or AG.

You say you write the same products that were offered through AGLA. Do you have the Quality of Life suite of products?

Back