Any Ideas on this One?

JGold814

Guru
100+ Post Club
Las Vegas
Had someone call me today looking for life insurance. She's 27 and lives in Mississippi. Non-smoker, ht/wt is 5' 6" and 352 pounds.

She was diagnosed with chronic asthma secondary to allergies when she was a child. Takes Proair (inhaler), Albuterol (nebulizer), Theothylline, and Singulair for the asthma condition. She also has an epipen prescribed for emergencies if she has an allergic reaction to something (she has several allergies) – the epipen has never been used. No major episodes/hospitalizations for the condition.

She experienced large weight gain due to taking prednisone. She took prednisone once a day for 2 years to improve lung strength - was taken off of it approximately 1 year ago.

She'll pretty much take whatever she can get. Any ideas what carriers, if any, could possibly approve her for coverage?

Simplified issue. She can get $40k with trans 35k with Aetna and $25k with rna. None have height weight charts. I'd have to look drugs up on trans to she if she'd get preferred or standard . The premiums either $109 or $140 for a $40k whole life

Had someone call me today looking for life insurance. She's 27 and lives in Mississippi. Non-smoker, ht/wt is 5' 6" and 352 pounds.

She was diagnosed with chronic asthma secondary to allergies when she was a child. Takes Proair (inhaler), Albuterol (nebulizer), Theothylline, and Singulair for the asthma condition. She also has an epipen prescribed for emergencies if she has an allergic reaction to something (she has several allergies) – the epipen has never been used. No major episodes/hospitalizations for the condition.

She experienced large weight gain due to taking prednisone. She took prednisone once a day for 2 years to improve lung strength - was taken off of it approximately 1 year ago.

She'll pretty much take whatever she can get. Any ideas what carriers, if any, could possibly approve her for coverage?

Go with petey, the build is an out and out decline with the front-line guys and I'm assuming the long term Prenisone using was respiratory related would be another big hit.

Also for future reference, watch out for EpiPens. The ratings can sneak up on you more than you might might guess. In her case in particular any rating would small (or barely even in consideration) in comparison to her other issues but anaphylaxis can be one of those rating that comes out of nowhere.

Simplified issue. She can get $40k with trans 35k with Aetna and $25k with rna. None have height weight charts. I'd have to look drugs up on trans to she if she'd get preferred or standard . The premiums either $109 or $140 for a $40k whole life

When did Aetna and RNA start covering 27 year olds?

----------

And Trans has a Ht/wt chart at that age.

Settlers silver may work. I don't know though with the respiratory problems.

----------

Settlers asks in the past two years as a proposed insured been diagnosed with, treated for or prescribe medication for chronic asthma or chronic bronchitis?

She is being treated for chronic asthma so Settlers would be out. And yeah, she's too young for Royal Neighbors and Aetna (or rather American Continental) - RNA minimum age is 50 and it's 45 for Am Cont.

If Transamerica has a ht/wt chart, she probably exceeds the max limit on it.

Hmmm...sounds like this one isn't going to go anywhere. I can't think of any options for her. The GI policies I can sell feature a minimum of age of at least 45 or 50.

If anyone can think of something doable for her medical history, I'll just give you the lead. Just PM me.

She is being treated for chronic asthma so Settlers would be out. And yeah, she's too young for Royal Neighbors and Aetna (or rather American Continental) - RNA minimum age is 50 and it's 45 for Am Cont. If Transamerica has a ht/wt chart, she probably exceeds the max limit on it. Hmmm...sounds like this one isn't going to go anywhere. I can't think of any options for her. The GI policies I can sell feature a minimum of age of at least 45 or 50. If anyone can think of something doable for her medical history, I'll just give you the lead. Just PM me.

Columbian has a GI for ages 25+. Call Trans and see what the ht/wt chart is for that age group. I'd call Settlers too and just see what they say.

----------

And AmCon only pays on 60+ nowadays.

----------

Nevermind Trans at that height is 257/275 pref/std.

UW Guy may be right about her build disqualifying her; nonetheless, I have had some success in placing people of similar size. The other medical factors will carry a lot of weight (pun not intended). If an underwriter is going to make a business decision here, you will need to have a firm grip on her finances and ability to pay a highly rated premium.

Put all thoughts about carrier aside and get your hands around the case. Do your field underwriting. Make sure you use a wholesaler who understands and appreciates that business decisions do get made for the right cases.

Aetna's a no due to age. If they would take a 27 year old, would you write it and make no commission?:nah:

----------

She is being treated for chronic asthma so Settlers would be out. And yeah, she's too young for Royal Neighbors and Aetna (or rather American Continental) - RNA minimum age is 50 and it's 45 for Am Cont.

If Transamerica has a ht/wt chart, she probably exceeds the max limit on it.

Hmmm...sounds like this one isn't going to go anywhere. I can't think of any options for her. The GI policies I can sell feature a minimum of age of at least 45 or 50.

If anyone can think of something doable for her medical history, I'll just give you the lead. Just PM me.

Weren't you told that UHL will take her in another thread?

UW Guy may be right about her build disqualifying her; nonetheless, I have had some success in placing people of similar size. The other medical factors will carry a lot of weight (pun not intended). If an underwriter is going to make a business decision here, you will need to have a firm grip on her finances and ability to pay a highly rated premium.

Put all thoughts about carrier aside and get your hands around the case. Do your field underwriting. Make sure you use a wholesaler who understands and appreciates that business decisions do get made for the right cases.

BMI of 56.8 is an uphill climb already, asthma that required THAT much Prednisone that she gained this much weight (although without PFT's we're not getting the whole story with asthma).

Either individually is no fun, together you're closing in on FE/GI territory until she has some distance in the rear-view from all of this. At least the weight may go down after stopping the Prednisone and controlled asthma ratings will decrease over time.

Columbian has a GI for ages 25+. Call Trans and see what the ht/wt chart is for that age group. I'd call Settlers too and just see what they say.

----------

And AmCon only pays on 60+ nowadays.

----------

Nevermind Trans at that height is 257/275 pref/std.

Columbian not in MS. He asked about this on another thread.. UHL EIWL seemed to be the best if not the only option.

Back