Brand New Agent W/ GREAT Opportunity.....I Think :)

spartyb

Hello!

I am a brand new life insurance agent with a great opportunity but I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to attack it.

Here's the short story...my friend from Church has owned his insurance company for the past 20 years. Most of his book (95%) is home & auto only. So I have his entire book of business as leads.

Here is the purpose of my post:

Knowing what you know now, what is the best way to go about this? So far, I've thought of calling them directly and explaining the reason for my call, etc.

Or, sending them a letter from him (the owner) introducing me and stating that I'll be following up with a phone call.

Any other ideas?

I really want to make the most of this opportunity!

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions would be extremely appreciated!!!

Sparty, I am in a similar situation to you. About 2 years ago I was brought in to a 20 year agency of roughly 5,000 households give or take a few to build up the life insurance and financial services side of the agency.

I am not claiming to know everything and am hoping to hear some good answers from other people, but here might be one way to get a jump start.

Sit down with the agent and have him pick out 25 - 50 of his best customers...these would be people who have been with him since the beginning or at least sincerely trust him and could have a life insurance need. If he is willing, it would be beneficial for him to make the introduction and get your foot in the door. Even today, there will be times I make a call to someone who has known the agent who brought me in for years...they will undoubtedly call him directly and say who or why is this guy calling me from your agency? He tells them that they should definitely get together with me for a review and 90% of the time they listen. Some of his best customers are now my best clients for life and financial...hope this helps...

Easy...

Hi Mr. Jones, my name is ______ I am calling on behalf of your auto/home insurance agent, Mr whomever. We recently have begun to offer life insurance products and since you have been loyal customers of ours and we have forged a bonding relationship I'd like to offer you a no cost review of your life insurance needs. We'll be able to provide you with the same outstanding service that brought you to our company for your auto/home insurance.

Tweak it how you want but you are sitting on a gold mine.
Make sure you have ample carriers to offer to these people and not only life insurance but annuities, as well. Good luck and if I can be of any help, let me know.

Last edited:
Hi Mr. Jones, my name is ______ I am calling on behalf of your auto/home insurance agent, Mr whomever. We recently have begun to offer life insurance products and since you have been loyal customers of ours and we have forged a bonding relationship I'd like to offer you a no cost review of your life insurance needs. We'll be able to provide you with the same outstanding service that brought you to our company for your auto/home insurance.

This kind of non-compelling, boring, same-old-thing stuff will have most people either falling asleep, or wanting to reach for a revolver...

A "no-cost" review of their life insurance needs? Does somebody charge for a "life insurance needs analysis"?

You'll have better results offering people a do-it-yourself home root canal kit.

They think that people do... I use a similar script every day and it works... yeah it is generic and it needs to be tweaked but every sales person has their own style.
Mine would be different than someone else's. I would call them as an introduction and ask them when I could come out and sit down with them to look over their life insurance needs but that may not be feasible for this agent... the main thing is to let them know that you are with their trusted agent and you have additional products that may interest them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
let me elaborate... people think automatically that when you call them you are looking for instant cash... you have to tell them it is at no cost for you to provide the service... The other thing you can do is send out an introduction letter from the agent telling them that you are new to the team and will be contacting them within a week...
and to further argue my original statement, I use that similar script with people that I don't even know who their agent is and it still works... hmmmm, much better than a root canal, I would think.

Last edited:
This kind of non-compelling, boring, same-old-thing stuff will have most people either falling asleep, or wanting to reach for a revolver...

A "no-cost" review of their life insurance needs? Does somebody charge for a "life insurance needs analysis"?

You'll have better results offering people a do-it-yourself home root canal kit.

Moonlight- I understand it is very easy to put down someone else's idea or script in a forum like this. However, when you do so it doesn't really help anybody that is here to learn something new to better their own business. If you are going to put something down it would make sense to follow it with a suggestion or idea of your own. Based on how I have noticed that you reply to people I assume that you are probably a millionare and could have some good things to share!

Help the guy out and give him some advice....:idea:

You've got their age, why not just send them a quote for 100K and 250K of 10 yr term life... Simple to read stuff, not not a bunch of flowery jargon, mainly...

A benefit made available to you by XYZ Agency... Your auto and home insurance agency, now offers low cost life insurance.

Life Insurance rates have DROPPED! Based upon your age, you can buy life insurance at the following low rates:

100,000 - 19.20 mo

250,000 - 32.15 mo

Disclaimers: medical underwriting and other qualifications required, blah, blah., etc...

Include your card with contact info, for the very few that might wish to call you.

Mail it, then follow it up with a phone call one week later... Let them know that you are handling "enrollment" for the low-cost life program for the agency... Tell them... Just about everyone is taking advantage of these low rates... did they have any questions before you take care of the enrollment paperwork...?

Moonlight- I understand it is very easy to put down someone else's idea or script in a forum like this. However, when you do so it doesn't really help anybody that is here to learn something new to better their own business. If you are going to put something down it would make sense to follow it with a suggestion or idea of your own.

Over the last couple of years, I've posted more ideas on stuff like this than most people want to remember!

Have you tried the search function?

Back