Casey Kasem Lesson: Have It in Writing

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
The sad end-of-life saga of Casey Kasem (links below) underscores the importance of having everything in writing, which likely would have prevented the bizarre incidents surrounding his rapid demise, his yet-to-happen burial (since death, his body has gone from Washington state to Montreal to Oslo, Norway, and may eventually end up in SoCal), and who receives the death benefit from his life insurance.

I'm hoping the children from his first marriage win their battles so he can be buried in California rather than Norway (he had no ties there, but widow Jean wants to emigrate there) and also prevent her from receiving the $2 million from his life insurance. MetLife has asked a judge to decide who is entitled:

Insurance Forums | MetLife involved in strange battle surrounding Casey Kasem

If you want to read some more bizarre accounts about the Kasem case, check out this article from Forbes:

Why Is Casey Kasem Still Not Buried? Conflict Shows Importance Of Preplanning - Forbes

What I find amazing is how easily we are all led to the "evil stepmother" feeding trough, and how we fill up on it.

Here is a couple who was together for 34 years. They built everything together, stayed together, took care of each other. Never ONE peep in a gossip rag about trouble or issues in this marriage in a town and business where trouble is everywhere, in fact quite the opposite, never ONE 911 call until these older children got involved. There were at lest seven (7) maybe more "claims" "reports" or "suggestions" of abuse by these kids, to social services, to the police, to the courts who assigned an independent investigator who found no problems or abuse, no reason to suggest the court remove Jean as Casey's caretaker, then more police. Never once was anything found, no abuse, no neglect. Even Casey himself told police he was not "kidnapped" and was on vacation with his wife and youngest daughter, that he was annoyed at being tracked down by his older children. Yet the older kids "claim" he could not communicate.

I DID have a step mom who was not so nice, so I'm not one to discount the possibility too quickly. Yet in this case, the really BAD smell seems to be from these children. Especially Kerri. I don't buy these older kids stories. I call BS and feel they are after the big pay off, not satisfied with what their trusts would have left them.

I can’t see how MetLife could be let off the hook entirely - unless a judge finds both the children and the widow guilty of a crime, which is not likely.

I also do not understand why a lack of preplanning is being identified as a problem. He apparently had a will and other documents - they just aren’t being followed!

I can’t see how MetLife could be let off the hook entirely - unless a judge finds both the children and the widow guilty of a crime, which is not likely.

I also do not understand why a lack of preplanning is being identified as a problem. He apparently had a will and other documents - they just aren’t being followed!

I don't get the impression that MetLife is trying to avoid paying. They just don't want to pay twice. It appears they'd like to put it into a court appointed trust or escrow account and be done with it, let the court settle who gets the money.

Back